The simFlight Network Forums

Minimum Weather Defaults button too aggressive?

While I appreciate the need for the Minimum Weather Defaults button (for example I use ActiveSky and pressing it is a requirement to use it properly) I noticed today that it seems a bit aggressive in what it resets.

For example, on the Technical tab, it will reset to off such items as "Stop cockpit sizing and moving" and "Control spike elimination". I cannot see how these are required for minimum weather, and wonder if therefore FSUIPC could in future releases leave these, and other items unrelated to weather, in the state the user has set them to when this button is pressed.

Thanks in advance for considering this.

While I appreciate the need for the Minimum Weather Defaults button (for example I use ActiveSky and pressing it is a requirement to use it properly) I noticed today that it seems a bit aggressive in what it resets.

I don't use it with Active Sky and don't have a problem. Is this what AS says to do? Seems a bit extreme! ActiveSky does override most of them in any case I think.

For example, on the Technical tab, it will reset to off such items as "Stop cockpit sizing and moving" and "Control spike elimination".

Actually, the "minimum weather defaults" was always MEANT to be much more extreme that the simply "defaults" option. The "normal defaults" actually keep some weather facilities active, because they are active by default. The "minimum weather" version is actually a "set defaults AND minimum weather" option -- i.e. it was doing MORE that the original button.

The way you suggest, for them to be complementary rather than alternatives, is a good idea. But it is rather odd that it's never cropped up before. It has been the way it is now for years! :wink:

I can certainly change it, but I shall change the button label too just to emphasize that is now doesn't set any defaults whatsoever. How about "Minimise weather settings", or simply "Weather settings off"?

This won't be till the next version, at least a month off, as 3.45 was just released this past weekend.

Regards,

Pete

I can confirm that ActiveSky does recommend using the Minimum Weather Defaults button but only as a basis upon which you can further tweak and customize settings to your own liking. For example, I like the option of adding random turbulence in clouds even though it's checked off by the Minimum Weather Defaults button. In other words, it's not a "requirement to use it properly" but it prevents your settings from straying too far from ActiveSky's recommendations and therefore causing unintended consequences. However, tweaking here and there won't cause ActiveSky to fail.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, they generally ask you to revert to Minimum Weather Defaults just so that they know for sure what your FSUIPC settings are (and therefore can try to reproduce your problem on their end).

Hope this helps.

Edwin

The way you suggest, for them to be complementary rather than alternatives, is a good idea. But it is rather odd that it's never cropped up before. It has been the way it is now for years! :wink:

Maybe I'm just an original thinker :-) OK, kidding aside, I'd just guess that most users either thought it did what I suggested anyway, hadn't noticed what it did, don't play with options that much, dont' press the button, or, don't care.

I can certainly change it, but I shall change the button label too just to emphasize that is now doesn't set any defaults whatsoever. How about "Minimise weather settings", or simply "Weather settings off"?

Firstly, thanks for considering this. I'd go more with the "Weather settings off".

This won't be till the next version, at least a month off, as 3.45 was just released this past weekend.

No problem. That's better than I expected.