The simFlight Network Forums

Settings don't hold in FSUIPC

Hi,

My setup first: 3 PCs, main server XP with fs2004, PM-Capt client ME and PM-MCP client ME, with CP FLight MCP unit and no CDU. PMsounds. Have all the latest builds for fs2004 only. Everthing pretty much works fine except this problem:

I have some GoFlight boards and "guts" only (45s, T8s and P8s) mounted behind "real" EFIS, NAV, DH, Transpond, etc units. This gives a really real neato effect to any sim, by using the hidden boards and guts from GoFlight, but without the very generic faceplates look.

Now that I fixed my problem whereby I can use my Capt's ND and PFD (thats another story), I start up a flight, go into FSUIPC go to Buttons and Switches and then on my EFIS (USB plugged into the main fs 2004 sever PC) and push one of the buttons down. I then see a number in FSUIPC (something like this but might not be exact 105 - #4). I click both FS and include Magenta check boxes and then go down the list of items to lets say PM ND sys POS and then click OK. Then I might turn my range ring rotory 5 postion switch and I get another set of numbers and do the same thing and assign PM ND range ring 20.

Now here is where it gets strange and I don't know if I should of rebooted or done something else or maybe I am using the wrong kinda of buttons or switches, though they once worked years ago OK:

Now with the game still running, I push down that first EFIS button that I assigned sys POS and my ND will go to VOR 1 mode. Or I will turn the range ring knob and get after a few clicks range 5 or 40 and not 20, which was the only one set. Sometimes I will turn the Mode knob and instead of getting MAP or AAPT or Ctr or Plan modes, the landing gear will go down on one position while nothing will happen on the other knob positions, even though I had program them to start with.

Whats interesting is that if I take the USB of my EFIS unit and now put it into my PM MCP client PC, and use the old Goflight Remote to set those same EFIS items, they will just about do the same things as from FSUIPC when they were on the main server.

So since I am getting strange results from both main server (FSUIPC) or client (GoFlight Remote), I am wondering if either my input devices are screwed up, (but I can see them assign!!!) or I am not programming them correct in FSUIPC. GoFlight Remote is more plug and play and years ago it worked, but of course there have been so many changes to the softwares and sim builds, who knows.

I can though with the same as said above, assign (esp with FSUIPC) OK regular simple, fs2004 MIP functions with switch items like NAV lights on/off or with GoFlights main software, things like gear up and down with the rotory.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Randy

ps, I have read all the docs, but on some, as usual, don't understand a damm thing.

Now here is where it gets strange and I don't know if I should of rebooted or done something else or maybe I am using the wrong kinda of buttons or switches, though they once worked years ago OK:

Now with the game still running, I push down that first EFIS button that I assigned sys POS and my ND will go to VOR 1 mode. Or I will turn the range ring knob and get after a few clicks range 5 or 40 and not 20, which was the only one set. Sometimes I will turn the Mode knob and instead of getting MAP or AAPT or Ctr or Plan modes, the landing gear will go down on one position while nothing will happen on the other knob positions, even though I had program them to start with.

This is getting a bit confused. Are you simply saying that your GoFlight buttons and switches are behaving erratically?

So since I am getting strange results from both main server (FSUIPC) or client (GoFlight Remote), I am wondering if either my input devices are screwed up, (but I can see them assign!!!) or I am not programming them correct in FSUIPC.

Erwithout knowing what you are programming or how I cannot comment on whether you are "programming them correct". But if you are getting inconsistent unpredictable results from the buttons and switches then it sounds to me as if they are suspect, or more probably the USB connection is suspect. If you are using a hub to connect these things then I would try another, or try plugging them directly into the PC.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

I can help with specific questions, of course, but with this sort of random ramblings I don't know how to help. If you could be more specific, scientific even. Use some method in your assignment and testing and say what you actually set and when then transpired, step by step. If you are getting random and different results al of the time then there are only two possibilities I think:

1. You have a hardware or connection problem, as i mentioned, or

2. You have multiple assignments to the same buttons/switches and this is confusing you.

If you think you have made a mess of assigning things in FSUIPC, simply delete the INI file and start again. Or, if you prefer, just delete the [buttons] section inside the file so you can retain your other settings.

ps, I have read all the docs, but on some, as usual, don't understand a damm thing.

Sorry but it is explained as best I can, with examples and pictures where things get complicated. I'm sure it is no where near as learning to fly an airplane properly. Maybe you are overreaching yourself and need to step back a bit?

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I will do what you said, but also write down just what I see happening and get any numbers or data that I can. Its possible that the 2 items you mention, might be the answer. Multi same settings and/or the Hub.

I have plugged right into the PC also, with the same results.

Do you know if a Hub that appears to be working, actually still be at fault? Could a failing Hub appear fine, I should ask.

Randy

I will do what you said, but also write down just what I see happening and get any numbers or data that I can. Its possible that the 2 items you mention, might be the answer. Multi same settings and/or the Hub.

Show me the FSUIPC INI file too -- just the [buttons] section. Cut and paste it into your message.

I have plugged right into the PC also, with the same results.

That eliminates the hub then. So its either the units, or multiple assignments, or you've made a mess in the settings.

Pete