The simFlight Network Forums

Everything works except for collective & throttle (heli)

Hi Pete

Sorry to trouble you but I think I'm having trouble with FSUIPC.

I’m converting a machine I have over to use FSX which has Service Pack One installed. I purchased the latest FSUIPC (version 4.20) along with the appropriate WideFS. (Purchased under old trading name - helicoptersim.com) I’m running Vista as my operating system.

Everything seemed to install OK and I registered my copies. I then calibrated all the instruments and controls (including the collective) without problem.

Then I start FSX and then start the TRC Link 2244 (version 1.1) Both programs came from: http://www.simkits.com/downloads/softwa244_12.zip

Everything seems to work OK in FSX except for the collective and throttle. Nothing happens in the program. (Even though it calibrated OK.) BTW, I’ve left the wiring for the CCU2 just as it was with the 2004 version. (Collective and throttle are controlled by the CCU2 board. CN15.)

I’ve also installed a Simkits Attitude Indicator which is controlled by USB. This also works fine.

Everything works fine in FS9 but when I come back over to FSX, everything works except for the collective and throttle. In fact, when you pull on the collective, power does seem to go up a little (as if it’s the throttle?) but I’m not sure if it is.

I had some dialogue with Simkits and their thoughts were that: As I can calibrate the collective and throttle, the CCU recognizes it properly. When it runs OK in FS9, it can only be FSUIPC, since “we” (our CCU software) doesn´t know the difference talking to FSUIPC3xx or FSUIPC4xx.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Chris

CHRIS RYAN | Ryan Aerospace

(Mistjest Pty Ltd)

3 York St

TAREE NSW 2430

AUSTRALIA

t: (02) 6551 2671

t: +61 2 6551 2671 (international)

m: 0429 300 228

m: +614 29 300 228 (international)

e: chris.ryan@ryanaerospace.com.au

w: http://www.ryanaerospace.com.au

Everything seemed to install OK and I registered my copies. I then calibrated all the instruments and controls (including the collective) without problem.

Calibrated them where?

Then I start FSX and then start the TRC Link 2244 (version 1.1) Both programs came from: http://www.simkits.com/downloads/softwa244_12.zip

Sorry, I don't know TRC stuff too well. Are your controls run through this driver, or is that just for instrumentation?

Everything seems to work OK in FSX except for the collective and throttle. Nothing happens in the program. (Even though it calibrated OK.) BTW, I’ve left the wiring for the CCU2 just as it was with the 2004 version. (Collective and throttle are controlled by the CCU2 board. CN15.)

No idea what that is, I'm afraid. Sorry. Do the suppliers offer any support?

I would need quite a lot more information to assist I'm afraid. Like how you calibrated and where, how these things are assigned, and what they are supposed to drive in FS -- axis controls or some direct connection to offsets?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Wow, that was a quick response. Thanks so much.

I callibrated the controls through the TRC callibration software. You add the controls one at a time. Eg: 1: Cyclic, 2: Pedals, 3: Collective and throttle.

Everything callibrated OK and the cyclic and pedals work fine but not the collective or throttle.

I've been working on it now and just noticed one small thing. In the R-22, you look down (virtual cockpit) at the collective. If the govenor is on, the collective moves slightly up an down. The manifold pressure gauge is eratic and bouncing around all over the place. When you switch the govenor off, the collective stays still.

The callibration I use works in two parts. The controls and most of the gauges are callibrated through this one peice of callibration software. I also have a Simkits attitude indicator which is callibrated through another USB callibration program.

The only support that the suppliers of Simkits were able to offer is that if you can go back into FS9 and everything works fine, it must be the version of FSUIPC as they can't tell the difference between 3 and 4.

I also just installed SP2 for FSX hoping this might help but it didn't.

Should I try FSUIPC 4.22 (I think that's the latest version?)

Thanks again for you promt reply.

Kind regards, Chris

I callibrated the controls through the TRC callibration software. You add the controls one at a time. Eg: 1: Cyclic, 2: Pedals, 3: Collective and throttle.

Okay, so not in FSUIPC.

The only support that the suppliers of Simkits were able to offer is that if you can go back into FS9 and everything works fine, it must be the version of FSUIPC as they can't tell the difference between 3 and 4.

Whilst that may well be true, in the past they have had problems because they've implemented some things in a undocumented and unsupported way. This may well be something I've already discussed with them and sorted out, so also make sure you have the latest version of their driver.

Without knowing how they are trying to control these things I have no idea where even to look, or how to ask you for more information should you even be able to supply it.

Should I try FSUIPC 4.22 (I think that's the latest version?)

There's a 4.222 available in the FSX downloads announcement above. By all means try that.

But if that is the same I think there's no alternative but for you to go back to TRC and insist they talk to me about this. You should not have to act as a go-between, and it is up to them to get their products working, not yours nor mine. I will help them sort it out, and if it is something I need to do in FSUIPC I will do it, but I cannot do that in a vacuum.

You can quote me if you like.

Regards

Pete