The simFlight Network Forums

Need Clarification on assignments

I have read and reread the users guide but I still do not understand some parts.

I take it you can have only 1 Generic set of assignments.Is that correct?

Pg 43 Users Guide

Where it talks about twin throttles Calibrate throttles 1 and 2 then check option Map 1->12,2->34 I know how to do this but when does this apply? Does it only apply to a specific assignment?

Also in this same area you can assign Map 1->12,2->3 for 3 engine planes again I know how I just do not understand when or how it can be used.

It looks like you have to make a large amount of assignments to cover all the different types of planes cause unless I am missing something your Generic can apply to only one type say all single engine planes,therefore the only way you can control all the rest ( if you want different assignments and I think you would) is by Specific assignment.

I know you can use the ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring,but seeing as how it is not a good thing to change the Title of the Default aircraft it seems to mean a large number of Specific assignments are needed.

Please let me know if I am missing anything or is this what you have to do?

Also how many different assignments do you need?

When it comes to eg Single engine planes do you need different assignments for Turbo and non Turbo?

Again Thanks for any info.

Hi Plane 1 I will attempt to answer some of your questions:

You said: I take it you can have only 1 Generic set of assignments. Is that correct?

I take it that “Generic” means ”Non-aircraft specific”, and in that case anything (axes, buttons, keys) you assign in FSUIPC4 applies to every single plane from helicopters to 3/4/6 engine jets. One size fits all!!

You said :Pg 43 Users Guide

Where it talks about twin throttles Calibrate throttles 1 and 2 then check option Map 1->12,2->34 I know how to do this but when does this apply? Does it only apply to a specific assignment?

Also in this same area you can assign Map 1->12,2->3 for 3 engine planes again I know how I just do not understand when or how it can be used.

Many throttle quadrants have only 6 levers and if you only have one TQ but you want to assign 2 levers to cover 4 engine actions ie throttles then PeteD gives you this option. So you could assign the first two levers to cover 4 throttles, the next 2 could cover 4 propeller pitches and the final 2 could cover 4 engine mixtures. This would be the same for 3 engine planes, so the first two levers set for throttles would control 3 engine throttles using PeteD’s option.

You said : ”It looks like you have to make a large amount of assignments to cover all the different types of planes cause unless I am missing something your Generic can apply to only one type say all single engine planes, therefore the only way you can control all the rest ( if you want different assignments and I think you would) is by Specific assignment.

I know you can use the ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring,but seeing as how it is not a good thing to change the Title of the Default aircraft it seems to mean a large number of Specific assignments are needed.”

Once you have made an assignment for a particular type of plane eg single engine GA you can copy and paste the settings in the FSUIPC4.ini file to cover a similar type of plane but with a different name, eg you could set up assignments for a Cessna and then copy and paste those assignments and change the name to say a Mooney (using the substring option), ie you only need to make one assignment for a type of plane and you can then copy and paste it to be used for similar types of planes. I have a document file which attempts to cover the points that you raise, posted as a "ZIP" file, as I think it explains most of your questions..

PeteD will probably answer your questions much better than me, but this may help in the meantime.

Please let me know if there is something that you do not understand.

regards

PeterH

FSUIPC to use the Aircraft Specific option together with ShortAircraftNameO BEAVER VERSIONK.zip

Thank you very much for the info,found it helped me understand much better.

I downloaded the attachment and used Winzip to try to open it but that does not work, Winzip says unsupported compression method 98 error.

I would really like to get a look at the file you attached.

Thanks again

Plane1

It opens fine with winzip 11.0 and Word2003, but I attach another zip file (in an older format). You cannot post .doc files on this site.

If this fails pnm with your email address and I'll send the doc file. {edit: Checked this file and it opens OK).

Regards

PeterH

FSUIPC to use the Aircraft Specific option together with ShortAircraftNameO2 BEAVER VERSIONK.zip