The simFlight Network Forums

Linux Wine v1.0 and FSWide Works

Just a note for the Linux and FSWide users. I had some very good success running FSWide on a Slackware 12.1 Linux Box using Wine v1.0. My FS9 is on an XP machine.

So far I have been able to run ACtiveSky v6. and ActiveSkyWxre remotely along with another traffic program called AISmooth on Linux.

There are probably more aps that can run remotely on linux but I was happy with these results and that is all I require at this time. Not much extra work was needed to make things play on linux. Computer names could not be resolved, but maching IP addresses work quite well. All quite easy, actually.

Just a note for the Linux and FSWide users. I had some very good success running FSWide on a Slackware 12.1 Linux Box using Wine v1.0. My FS9 is on an XP machine.

So far I have been able to run ACtiveSky v6. and ActiveSkyWxre remotely along with another traffic program called AISmooth on Linux.

There are probably more aps that can run remotely on linux but I was happy with these results and that is all I require at this time. Not much extra work was needed to make things play on linux. Computer names could not be resolved, but maching IP addresses work quite well. All quite easy, actually.

Very good. I don't know Linux at all, but I'm assuming "Wine" is a Windows emulator running on top?

[LATER]

I did a search and came up with this, saying it is less of an "emulator" more of a translation layer:

"Wine is a translation layer (a program loader) capable of running Windows applications on Linux and other POSIX compatible operating systems. Windows programs running in Wine act as native programs would, running without the performance or memory usage penalties of an emulator, with a similar look and feel to other applications on your desktop."

So, it sounds as if it is a pretty good translator!

Regards

Pete