The simFlight Network Forums

Black screen

I just install windows 7,A new install of FS9.I have3.93 installed,when I click modules at the top of my screen it goes black.Have to press Esc key to get FS9 back.Could use some help...Scott

Try it in Windowed mode (ALT+ENTER switches between full screen and windowed). If it then works, you have a video driver problem. Find a better driver for your card -- don't use the default one from Windows 7.

Pete

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with Win 7 and have tried:

1. Two separate computer systems {one AMD, One Intel C2D}

2. Two different graphics cards {NVidia + ATI}

3. Several different drivers from original win7 drivers to latest from the card manufacturer.

All with no effect - select FSUIPC in full screen and FS9 goes black screen.

Odd that FSUIPC in Win 7/FSX is ok.

Suspect that perhaps its a Win7/FS9 problem but to date no other add-ons have any problems. Grateful for any other options I might try.

Many thanks

John R

select FSUIPC in full screen and FS9 goes black screen.

The FSUIPC options screen is a completely standard Windows dialogue. There's nothing different about it to any disalogue you get in any other normal Windows program. There's no trickery, no fiddles, nothing dependent upon anything in any video driver or in FS. Whenever this has been reported it has always turned out to be a video driver problem -- possibly dependent upon video options selected in FS, but definitely video related.

Odd that FSUIPC in Win 7/FSX is ok.

Considering the code for making the FSUIPC dialogue is identical in both FS9 and FSX (and in all previous versions dating back to FS98), yes, it is odd, and points more towards some options set differently in FS.

Suspect that perhaps its a Win7/FS9 problem but to date no other add-ons have any problems. Grateful for any other options I might try.

Try ALT+ENTER to switch to Windowed mode.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the response. I wasn't criticising but had discussed this problem on two other forums with guys who had the same problem with a lot better hardware than I have. Hence I came here to see if there was anything else I might try. By the way, it occurs using Alt-enter as well as the menu.

However, I have found that if you switch off AA in FS9, the dialogue box comes up and can be accessed ok but with a black screen behind it. This is even if you are using AA through the graphics card control panel.

In addition, there are other odd graphics issues with Win7/FS9 in full screen mode [eg right click over scenery area and cursor changes from white arrow to solid black arrow} so I guess it goes back to my original conclusion that I have a Win7/FS9 problem which could be graphics card and/or drivers or perhaps DX11 incompatibilty etc etc .

Best Wishes and, as always, many thanks for all your efforts in keeping FSUIPC etc available to us.

John R

By the way, it occurs using Alt-enter as well as the menu.

Ah, that's certainly a video driver problem. You should never have any such problem swapping between the two modes.

However, I have found that if you switch off AA in FS9, the dialogue box comes up and can be accessed ok but with a black screen behind it. This is even if you are using AA through the graphics card control panel.

Yet more confirmation of driver problems.

I only use FSX these days. I've been using GTX 280, 285 and 9800 GTX cards with Win7 64-bit ultimate quite happily -- driver version 182.50 or later. I'm currently trying the latest Betas from www.guru3d.com.

Regards

Pete