The simFlight Network Forums

ReInstall on New Computer

Peter

New computer running Windows 7.

I am in the process of reinstalling FS9 on my new computer. At each stage I have tested the installation and have been flying. Already installed are FS9, Ultimate Terrain,Flight Environment, Ground Environment and several WOAI packages.

This morning I got this computer (along with my original computer)connected to the internet. Tonight I downloaded and installed FSUIPC Version 3.93. My first attempt at re-registering failed I assume because of a changed email address. However when I started up FS9 I was able to enter the email address I originally registered along with my original KeyCode. All was well and I "got into" FSUIPC. I assigned a button for pushback and one for View on my Logitech Joystick. Tested - all was well in a 2 minute test. Exited FS9 to check other joystick assignments on my now test rig and my new computer automatically downloaded 8 "Windows Updates".

When I tried to reload FS9 it refused to load with this message "MSFS has stopped working - a problem has stopped this program working"

I uninstalled all 8 updates restarted the computer but problem still exists. Could FSUIPC be causing the problem?

Bill

This morning I got this computer (along with my original computer)connected to the internet. Tonight I downloaded and installed FSUIPC Version 3.93. My first attempt at re-registering failed I assume because of a changed email address. However when I started up FS9 I was able to enter the email address I originally registered along with my original KeyCode.

Of course, that is the email address bound irrevocably with that Key and your name.

When I tried to reload FS9 it refused to load with this message "MSFS has stopped working - a problem has stopped this program working"

I uninstalled all 8 updates restarted the computer but problem still exists. Could FSUIPC be causing the problem?

No. Why should it? Why ask that question?

You need more information on what it is saying. There must be more details available in the error report.

When did it "stop working" in any case? If it "stopped working" it must have loaded, else it could not stop.

Regards

Pete

The reason I asked "could FSUIPC be causing the problem" was that the programme stopped working immediately after the registering of FSUIPC and the installation of Windows updates. As I had then uninstalled the Windows updates and the problem still persisted I thought it logical to ask - --maybe not.

However

In the failed registration it says" FSUIPC registration check cancelled or failed (result code 10)"

What happens is this.

I start FS - up comes the loading splash screen and then stop - nothing further than that. The message I get "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Nothing further than that happens - I have to close the program myself.

In the brief time I was able to work with FSUIPC changing some button assignments could I have caused this?

Bill

The reason I asked "could FSUIPC be causing the problem" was that the programme stopped working immediately after the registering of FSUIPC and the installation of Windows updates. As I had then uninstalled the Windows updates and the problem still persisted I thought it logical to ask - --maybe not.

A successful registration enables many facilities for your use in FSUIPC, but it doesn't change the way it interacts with FS at all, nor with applications -- UNLESS there is something wrong with the Registration.

However

In the failed registration it says" FSUIPC registration check cancelled or failed (result code 10)"

Er, sorry, what "failed registration"? You mean when you attempted it with the wrong email address? If that's what you mean, then of course it would say so in the Install Log. Run the installer again and take the "check registration" offer, see what it says then ...

What happens is this.

I start FS - up comes the loading splash screen and then stop - nothing further than that. The message I get "Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Are you sure there's nowhere to click on that notification to obtain more details? From the wording it certainly seems as if has loaded, else it couldn't stop. There are different sets of reasons for Windows reporting that it cannot run a program, usually related to missing components preventing its run-time linking.

In the brief time I was able to work with FSUIPC changing some button assignments could I have caused this?

No.

Is there an FSUIPC log file in the Modules folder? If so show it to me please. Do you have any applications (add-ons) which use FSUIPC? In other words, what was FSUIPC doing there when it wasn't registered?

Without more information from Windows and that error message I'm not sure how we can proceed. The only type of FS crash which normally supplies no error information are those so-called "Crashes to Desktop" (CTDs), when FS literally just vanishes without a trace. Getting an error message is usually good because it tels you things.

Regards

Pete

When I re run the installer I get a confirmation of a successful install of FSUIPC version 3.93

I am simply reporting the message I got When my registration failed (yes by me not entering the old e-mail address. The "code 10 " was merely for your information.

Programme stops at splash screen - yes runs for about 5 seconds and then stops. There is nowhere to click to get any further information. I have tried.

The log file I think shows the last successful load of the programme.

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.93 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "E:\MSGAMES\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004(original release)

User Namexxxxxxxxxx (edited out by me)"

User Addr=xxxxxxxxxx(edited out by me)

FSUIPC Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=15

686 System time = 29/12/2009 21:04:13

686 E:\MSGAMES\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

733 System time = 29/12/2009 21:04:13, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

1185 C:\Users\user\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\Ready Belfast.flt

1201 AIRCRAFT\PMDG737-800\B737-800.air

1217 Aircraft="PMDG 737-800"

5865 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

10514 C:\Users\user\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

11185 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

15959 Traffic File #24 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_24_woa_aer arann_su07"

16021 Traffic File #13 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_aer lingus_wi08"

16052 Traffic File #15 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_easyjet_su09"

16130 Traffic File #16 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_first choice airways_su08"

16130 Traffic File #19 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_000_woa_ryanair_su08"

32198 WeatherOptions set, now 40003605 (timer=0)

712207 System time = 29/12/2009 21:16:04, FS2004 time = 21:07:34 (21:07Z)

712207 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 0 Allocs, 2560 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

Re FSUIPC unregistered - I have the PMDG, Ultimate Terrain .Flight Environment,Ground Environment installed as previously mentioned and a small cockpit running CP Flight MCP and EFIS, a Leo Bodnar card and various switches etc.

Just a thought I am running with a NoCD programme (to protect my original disk) but it has been OK with that up to now.

Bill

When I re run the installer I get a confirmation of a successful install of FSUIPC version 3.93

I am simply reporting the message I got When my registration failed (yes by me not entering the old e-mail address. The "code 10 " was merely for your information.

Okay. so it isn't relevant to the problem.

Programme stops at splash screen - yes runs for about 5 seconds and then stops. There is nowhere to click to get any further information. I have tried.

The log file I think shows the last successful load of the programme.

Okay -- the first thing FSUIPC does when run is start the Log. So if no new one is being produced it appears FS isn't getting that far even. It is probably failing with a bad CFG file of its own.

I know corrupted LogBooks can do this for FSX, but I'm not sure about FS9. I don't think it's a problem for those.

Looking at your last successful log, I notice that you have the PMDG 737 loading as your default, in the default flight. I have known a number of problems folks have had with loading a complex aircraft as default -- something could have become screwed up there somewhere.

Unless you can find a place to click to get more information on the error from Windows (there's usually a "details" clcik sdpot or somesuch and I'm surprised you cannot find anything), then I think your best procedure, at least as a test, if to find and rename your FS9.CFG file, so that it isn't used and FS9 makes a new one. This will revert FS to its default settings. If that works, then you can use a process of elimination between the old renamed one and the new defaults, gradually moving to the same result. I suspect, though, that it is tied up with that initial flight, which of course won't be loaded by the default CFG.

Just a thought I am running with a NoCD programme (to protect my original disk) but it has been OK with that up to now.

That won't do any harm.

Regards

Pete

Well I renamed the fs9.cfg , restarted computer and started FS9. About 2 seconds- to the fault again. It is not a CTD as the splash screen stays (with the message box in the centre of it) and this promise that windows will shut the program down and report any possible remedies. If I leave my cursor in the splash screen window the little wheel spins merrily along. I have had the patience to watch this for 10 mins before taking the option to "close" it myself and thus I get no report. I have clicked the window repeatedly looking for more info - but none appears.Checked the new fs9.cfg and there is nothing in it.

I cannot understand why this should suddenly occur. I have been transferring my stuff to this computer for a couple of weeks now and flying little 30 minute test flights without a problem. The only things that I can think of that might have upset the applecart are:

Running FSUIPC 3.40 - I may have installed 3.93 (in preparation for registering prior to being connected to internet on this computer - waiting for a wireless router from talktalk.) and then installing 3.93 on top of that again

Making fs9.cfg changes to help Ultimate Terrain graphics (did this a couple of times as I searched for the sweet spot)

Installing an imported picture as wallpaper.

Connecting to the wireless router (with a wired connection)

Registered FSUIPC

Assigned a couple of joystick buttons via FSUIPC

Tested these with a "flight" that only consisted of pushback.

Deleted keyboard assignments 1,2,3,4 from default keyboard list. I did this as during the test pushback I wanted to turn and pushing 1 on keyboard cycled the views which happens to be one of the joystick buttons I was setting with FSUIPC

Had 8 automatic Windows Updates. Hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Should I try a system restore?

Bill

Well I renamed the fs9.cfg , restarted computer and started FS9. About 2 seconds- to the fault again. It is not a CTD as the splash screen stays (with the message box in the centre of it) and this promise that windows will shut the program down and report any possible remedies. If I leave my cursor in the splash screen window the little wheel spins merrily along. I have had the patience to watch this for 10 mins before taking the option to "close" it myself and thus I get no report. I have clicked the window repeatedly looking for more info - but none appears.

Strange indeed.

Something seems to have got corrupted in FS itself somehow, but what could cause the conditions you mention I've really no idea. I suspect your quickest remedy would be an uninstall and re-install. Though you could start by simply uininstalling one add-on at a time, checking each time. Start with FSUIPC by all means -- it is so easy to uninstall in any case, merely remove it from the Modules folder.

Checked the new fs9.cfg and there is nothing in it.

No, it is very strange I agree. If it were a proper crash, with details, I would possibly suspect a memory fault -- hardware errors are always unexpected and need not of course coincide with any other change you make. I suppose corruption of files on disc could also account for unpredictable results, but the only way to find that out would be the reinstall path. You did say it was a new PC, so perhaps something's not right with it. If things fail they often do when new or very old, not so much in between (in my experience).

If you have enough disk space, why not do as I do in these cases? Just rename the folder containing FS (eg "Flight Simulator 9" to "Old Flight Simulator 9") then install FS9 again, in the same place as you did before. Check that is works, then gradually add one thing at a time ...even copying stuff from the "old" folders if need be. Check at each stage.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Thanks. I have loads of space on my special partition on my hard drive which is exclusively for FS9. I will start reinstalling tomorrow and let you know on this thread how things go. As for now I've got to take my little granddaughter out for her birthday tea.Again thank you for your support. Take care

Bill

Pete

OK back from my birthday party. For starters I removed FSUIPC.dll from modules folder and FS9 loaded the default Cessna Flight immediately. Changed airport to EGAA and there were my WOAI planes. So it would appear that something in the FSUIPC installation has caused the problem, At the moment there is no "Modules" section on the menu bar of FS9 and of course I can't load the PMDG.

Bill

... something in the FSUIPC installation has caused the problem, At the moment there is no "Modules" section on the menu bar of FS9 and of course I can't load the PMDG.

It is pointing to the PMDG installation then, for sure. The "FSUIPC Installation" is simply the presence of FSUIPC.DLL in the Modules folder, nothing more, nothing less. If it's there, it is "installed", if it isn't, it isn't. It has no feelers, no changes, no parts placed anywhere else.

Try putting FSUIPC.DLL back and instead removing the PMDG DLL from the Modules folder -- PMDGOptions.dll is the one, I think.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Did as you suggested. FSUIPC 3.93 now running again and the PMDG737 not running. So as you suggested very early in this thread it is the PMDG that has caused the problem. I shall remove it and then reinstall and that should fix things.

Just while we are communicating I have saved my old "ini" file where all my button/switch settings and mouse macros were assigned. Can I simply swap this with the new "ini" file to reuse these settings?

Thanks

Bill