The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.971 - Joystick names

Hello,

I have a fully assigned cokcpit with my 3 joystick cards and i attached a 4th one, but suddenly FSUIPC makes a mix up with all my assigned switches.

How can i get Windows / FSUIPC in that way, that its assigns a new joystick behind the last configured one.

Do I have any chance to get the ini file correct working. If I unplug the new joystick all is working fine again...

Please help me.

Thanks,

Mark

no all the joystick cards have the same name... Is there apossibility to change those names?

Only in their firmware. The name is part of the ID they supply to Windows, along with their "VID" (Vendor ID) and "PID" (Product ID"). I really don't think there's any other distinguishing thing, unless maybe they provide serial numbers, which I believe is possible. Trouble is that even then I don't think Windows reads it and associates it in the Registry.

The way FS identifies DirectInput devices is via a "GUID" (those long numbers like "{DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}"). They are actually stored in the Registry alongside the rather simpler Joystick Number I use, so I could use GUIDs too. But do they actually identify the specific device? If you swap the cards' USB connections, does FS still keep the same assignments? If so it must somehow track something it gets from the cards before assigning the GUIDs.

Let me know. I can add GUID data when I see two devices of the same name -- but only if it helps. Otherwise it will be a waste.

Regards

Pete

thanks for the PM. Yes, i have read the reply, but i had not time to test it. i will do this tomorrow and i will post the result in there with swapping usb ports on the controllers.

Okay. Thanks. I just need to know if the devices with the same name also have the same GUIDs, or different ones, and if the GUIDs follow the device or stay with the USB port.

If the GUIDs are the same, or stay with the port, then there's no point in me trying to use them. There's also another possibility -- that Windows generates entirely new GUIDs if you unplug them then reconnect, in which case they would be a total waste. Actually, of course, I can check that here. You only need one device to check that!

... Well, Win7 64-bit seems to retain the GUID and Joystick ID even if I swap USB sockets. But of course I only have one device.

If you don't know exactly how to locate these things, let me know and I'll try to help.

... Here's help in any case:

Run Regedit from the Start menu. You'll get an Explorer type screen. Negotiate down to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER (for Vista and Win7) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for XP, then

System \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ MediaProperties \ PrivateProperties \ DirectInput \ VID_xxxx&PID_xxxx \ Calibration

where the VID and PID xxxx values are those you can get from DXDIAG.

There you should see a numbered entry for the number of identical devices you have connected: 0, 1, 2 etc. Select each and note down the fields on the opposite window:

GUIDa seies of 16 pairs of characters

Joystick Id the joystick number as FSUIPC would see and use, e.g. 01 00 00 00 for 1, etc.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

i have made now some test. It looks like that the GUID is also the same when you swap the usb ports.

It seems that windows XP also only generates once the GUID and leaves it the same.

I tried the following: switching some USB cables around and started up fs, opened the FSUIPC Joystick button assignment and than clicked one hardware key. The recognized Joystick alphabetical letter was the same as it should be. So it would be nice when FSUIPC has the possibility to show up the GUIDS for more clarification on the joystick types, when all have the same name.

If you need more information or screenshots, please contact me.

As i understood fsuipc now its important to have all joystick connected one time so fsuipc can generate his ini file. Then you can unplug it and replug it in any usb slot. A new joystick will get a new fresh windows ID and hopefully not an ID before the one who are connected.

best regards,

Mark

i have made now some test. It looks like that the GUID is also the same when you swap the usb ports.

It seems that windows XP also only generates once the GUID and leaves it the same.

Sorry, that's a little ambiguous to me. The same for the specific device, not the specific port?

I tried the following: switching some USB cables around and started up fs, opened the FSUIPC Joystick button assignment and than clicked one hardware key. The recognized Joystick alphabetical letter was the same as it should be. So it would be nice when FSUIPC has the possibility to show up the GUIDS for more clarification on the joystick types, when all have the same name.

Well I could make the GUID part of the checking when matching names to letters. It would be like an extension to the name. Isn't that what you mean?

Regards

Pete

Sorry, that's a little ambiguous to me. The same for the specific device, not the specific port?

Yes, the ID stays the same for the device when you switch ports. So each device gets one unique id, I think.

Well I could make the GUID part of the checking when matching names to letters. It would be like an extension to the name. Isn't that what you mean?

Yes, as an extention it would be great. Sounds great with the matching names to letter option.

regards,

Mark