The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Turboprop Throttle Quandrant and PSS Dash 8

Hi there,

I'm wondering if you can give me some assistance with calibrating my PFC turboprop throttle quandrant to be compatible with the PSS Dash 8. Specifically, I'm trying to achieve full reverse beta with the PSS Dash 8. As it stands now, when I apply full reverse, I still have to press F2 in order to achieve the full reverse beta range ( I can apply full reverse with the default King Air with no problem ). I've tried all sorts of calibration combinations but to no avail. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

J.C. (MYNN)

I'm wondering if you can give me some assistance with calibrating my PFC turboprop throttle quandrant to be compatible with the PSS Dash 8. Specifically, I'm trying to achieve full reverse beta with the PSS Dash 8. As it stands now, when I apply full reverse, I still have to press F2 in order to achieve the full reverse beta range ( I can apply full reverse with the default King Air with no problem ). I've tried all sorts of calibration combinations but to no avail. I would really appreciate your help.

This was reported some time ago. It's something very odd about the way PSS programmed the reverse. I think I got around it in the in the PFC driver by actually sending the same control as F2 when reverse is engaged. This was done back in version 1.50, as noted in the History part of the PFC documentation:

An FS “throttle decrement” control is sent when the reverse throttle range is first entered, in case any third party panels need this to get out of “flight idle” and into “ground idle”. [This won’t necessarily work, however—depending how the throttle control is programmed in the cockpit software].

The current PFC.DLL version is 1.55. Try that. If you are using that but it still doesn't work then I'm afraid it's over to PSS. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. I'm using the curent version 1.55. What do I need to do in order to achieve what you suggested ( i.e. sending the same control as F2 when reverse is engaged )?.

Thanks again

J.C. (MYNN)

Thanks for the reply Pete. I'm using the curent version 1.55. What do I need to do in order to achieve what you suggested ( i.e. sending the same control as F2 when reverse is engaged )?.

Nothing. PFC.DLL has been doing that since version 1.50, as I pointed out. I have no other possible solution I can pursue. If it isn't working it looks as if you have no choice but to enable it manually, or try to resolve it with PSS.

If there is a programmable way to do it which I can add to a future version of PFC, I will consider it, but PSS aren't notable to date for making their panels programmable. Perhaps you should ask them about it? Let me know if they suggest a decent solution.

Regards,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the reverse in the PSS Dash 8 to work with the turboprop throttle quandrant. It took a lot of trial and error, but it's finally working to my satisfaction.

Thanks again for your assistance

J.C. (MYNN)

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the reverse in the PSS Dash 8 to work with the turboprop throttle quandrant. It took a lot of trial and error, but it's finally working to my satisfaction.

Good. But what was the problem? Is it something that should be improved, or is it specifically a thing with the one aircraft?

Pete

Hi Pete,

It appeared to be confined to the PSS Dash 8. After calibrating and recalibrating according to your intructions in the PFC User Guide and assigning the throttle levers to the PSS Dash, I got lucky on the millionth attempt. It was driving me crazy because the PSS Dash 8 is my predominant aircraft of choice ( I fly it 99% of the time with FS2002). The reverse function worked fine with the default king air, the aerosoft ATR series, and all the other turboprops in my collection. Maybe the guys at PSS plan to release their own turboprop throttle quandrant to work specifically with the Dash 8 ( LOL ).

Thanks again

J.C. (MYNN)