The simFlight Network Forums

overlapping profiles

I searched through the docs, but didn't find an explicit note. What I want to do is create a couple layers of overlapping profiles.

For example, here might be a typical array of profiles ...

[Profile.Level D B767-300ER]

1=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Airlines NC

2=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United

[Profile.FT Embraer 170]

1=Embraer 170 United Express

2=Embraer 170 Air Canada

[Profile.PMDG 737-800]

1=Boeing 737-824NGX United Airlines (Merger) Winglets

2=PMDG 737-800NGX PMDG House Winglets

3=Boeing 737-8CTNGX WestJet Winglets

To that setup, I might want to add aother profile, let's say we call it Boeing ...

[Profile.Boeing]

1=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United Airlines NC

2=Level D Simulations B767-300ER - United

3=Boeing 737-824NGX United Airlines (Merger) Winglets

4=PMDG 737-800NGX PMDG House Winglets

5=Boeing 737-8CTNGX WestJet Winglets

The goal would be to avoid having to, make the same assignments for common items for both the 737 and 767, in their profiles, I could just make that Boeing "common" assignment, only once in the Boeing profile. I could not put that common assignment in the general non-profile list, as it does not apply to all aircraft, just those.

SImilarlly, you could have a JET and/or a TURBOPROP profile.

Is this a valid construct, or can an aircraft only belong to ONE profile?

* Orest

The goal would be to avoid having to, make the same assignments for common items for both the 737 and 767, in their profiles, I could just make that Boeing "common" assignment, only once in the Boeing profile. I could not put that common assignment in the general non-profile list, as it does not apply to all aircraft, just those.

Sorry, there's no way to do that in the way you state. You could make the common subset as one profile then generate the others using the "New, based on ..." option.

Regards

Pete

Thanks. So, just to confirm, an aircraft can only belong to, at most, one profile -- correct?

Yes, the one that lists the longest match to its name. Don't forget you can shorten the names in the lists to a common sub-string, a part of the name which reliably identifies the type -- saves having enormous lists for different liveries.

Regards

Pete