The simFlight Network Forums

How to obtain force feedback data from FSX

Hello Peter,

Have I checked the FSX FSUIPC variables list well enough, if I conclude that FSUIPC provides no offsetvalues for force feedback strenght and directions ?

I do have a selfbuild centering sytem in my homecockpit that simply functions with - per axis - two arms with pulling springs, that are pushing the mechanical axis to the 'centered' point (see small sketch attached)

At this moment a fixed pin in the middle prevents both springs working against eachother (without the fixed pin there would be no force on the axis movement).

My idear is to mimic force feedback by creating a movable 'fixed centerpin'. If the rudder by example is having force from the left side, the centerpin must be moving - by a spindle axis - to the right a bit, so the pilot has to use more force to keep the rudder centered.

The same technique I would apply for the ailerons and elevator.

I am used to work with SIOC and so it would be nice if there are readable variables for the forces.

I have considered whether G-forces are usable, but I estimate those values are not really the same as the force-feedback values.

Do you Peter, or anyone else who reads this, have any good idears ?

Thanks in advance !

Greetings.

Bram Stikkel

post-13996-0-82236900-1362688600.png

Have I checked the FSX FSUIPC variables list well enough, if I conclude that FSUIPC provides no offsetvalues for force feedback strenght and directions ?

FSUIPC has no access to the DirectX force feedback interface, if that's what you mean.

If you are instead asking about variables to enable you to implement your own feedback according to aircraft forces, then of course it has all the velocities and accelerations in each axis you could possibly need. Force is dependent upon acceleration, and there are variables for that in the 6 degrees of freedom (X, Y, Z and the three rotations).

I have considered whether G-forces are usable, but I estimate those values are not really the same as the force-feedback values.

G-force is another word for acceleration. Search the offsets list for acceleration, not G-force.

Of course, pressure on a control such as the yoke is not just due to accelerations but pressure. If your aircraft is out of trim, there's more force on the elevator. When in a bank there's pressure to re-centre the aileron because of the wing dihedral making it tend to level out. Sidewinds and tailwinds will all play their part in providing different pressures. How you measure those and deal with them is a very complex area.

Regards

Pete

Thank you very much for this clear and so quick answer, Pete. The DirectX force feedback is indeed what I suppose I need data from.

I think I need to do some more investigation on the internet first.

Greetings !

Bram Stikkel