The simFlight Network Forums

Fatal error after exiting Prepar3D v2.2

Hi Pete,

It's some years since I last called on your help and I must say that I really appreciate your ongoing support and development of this indispensable program.

I have recently acquired P3D v.2.2 and patched it to version 10438. I have not had any problems either installing or running it with FSUIPC 4.934 installed, however once I copy over to 'Modules' the pfcfsx 4.41 driver for my PFC Jetliner yoke and Throttle Quadrant, I receive a 'Windows Fatal Error' advice about 15 to 20 seconds after exiting the P3D program. P3D appears to run OK and the PFC and other controls operate OK as well, but the fatal error advice is still worrying and I am reluctant to continue installing other add on products until this error is sorted.

If I remove the driver, the error notice does not appear on exit. Am I using the wrong driver? BTW, I am not experiencing this problem in FSX using the same driver. FSX is installed on a separate drive.

My System Specs. are as follows:

O.S.  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

CPU  Intel Core i7 940 O.C. to 3.9 GHz

RAM  10 GB

GRAPHICS  EVGA GTX 780 6GB

MB  ASUS P6T6 WS REVOLUTION

CONTROLS:

PFC Cirrus Jetliner yoke

PFC throttle quadrant

Saitek X52Pro joystick, throttle and Pro rudder pedals

I don't seem to be able to attach the relevant log files as I keep getting an error 'You are not permitted to upload this kind of file' advice. Excuse my ignorance but could you advise the correct procedure. 

I would much appreciate your advice on this problem.

Regards, Bill

I have recently acquired P3D v.2.2 and patched it to version 10438. I have not had any problems either installing or running it with FSUIPC 4.934 installed, however once I copy over to 'Modules' the pfcfsx 4.41 driver for my PFC Jetliner yoke and Throttle Quadrant, I receive a 'Windows Fatal Error' advice about 15 to 20 seconds after exiting the P3D program. P3D appears to run OK and the PFC and other controls operate OK as well, but the fatal error advice is still worrying and I am reluctant to continue installing other add on products until this error is sorted.

There's really no need to worry. P3D os very very prone to crashes on termination and L-M have been fixing them gradually, but some still occur. The only ill effect you may get is that changes to the P3D settings made during that session might not get saved to the P3D.CFG file because this tends to be done at the last moment.

Without any crash information there's really nothing I can do. If the crash information is in one of my modules then I can take a look, but if not then it has to be reported to L-M.

I had 100% consistent crashes on termination in P3D is all versions up to 2.2 -- 2.2 is, in fact, the first version for me which doesn't actually crash on exit! I reported the earlier ones of course, and evidently L-M did manage to fix them.

If I remove the driver, the error notice does not appear on exit. Am I using the wrong driver? BTW, I am not experiencing this problem in FSX using the same driver. FSX is installed on a separate drive.

There's no difference in any of my programs for P3D except the changes dealt with in FSUIPC, because all the others use FSUIPC. The PFCFSX module is totally independent of the underlying version of FS., it just depends on FSUIPC version 4.

I don't seem to be able to attach the relevant log files as I keep getting an error 'You are not permitted to upload this kind of file' advice. Excuse my ignorance but could you advise the correct procedure. 

All the details I need are text, so just paste their contents into a message here. The can encompass them in <> parentheses (see on of the edit buttons about the typing area), and this retains formatting etc. I primarily need to see the Windows event viewer details for the crash, the FSUIPC4 log and the PFCFSX log.

Pete

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.934 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
Running inside Prepar3D v2 on Windows 7
Module base=613D0000
User Name="William Kingwell"
User Addr="vpile@bigpond.net.au"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
      188 System time = 07/06/2014 20:33:14
      188 FLT path = "C:\Users\Billk\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\"
      188 Trying G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\Modules\SimConnectP3D2.dll
      188 Found it: trying to connect
      203 FS path = "G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\"
      562 LogOptions=00000000 00000001
      562 SIM1 Frictions access gained
      562 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed
      562 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
      562 Trying to use SimConnect Prepar3D
     2184 Running in "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v2", Version: 2.2.10438.0 (SimConnect: 2.2.0.0)
     2184 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     2184 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     2200 G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\FLIGHTS\OTHER\Prepar3D.FXML
     2200 G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Raptor Driver\Raptor.AIR
    21560 System time = 07/06/2014 20:33:36, Simulator time = 06:20:00 (10:20Z)
    21575 Aircraft="F-22 Raptor - 94th Fighter Squadron"
    22574 Starting everything now ...
    23900 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    49967 PFC Menu entry added
   366806 G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado A36 BONANZA P3D\A36.AIR
   367118 Aircraft="Carenado A36 Bonanza 60th Anniversary"
   481061 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 113 secs = 20.0 fps

********* PFCFSX.DLL, Version 4.410 by Pete Dowson *********
     6428: Running in "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v2", Version: 2.2.10438.0 (SimConnect: 2.2.0.0)
  	***** PFCFSX Connection Checks *****
  	FSUIPC4 okay. All options available: 4.934 
  	COM2 open okay
  	Aileron control Okay!
  	Elevator contrl Okay!
  	Thrttle quadrnt Okay!
  	Rudder control  Not connected, or parked?
  	Avionics check: No expected results received!
  	MCP connection: No expected results received!
  	CDU connection: Neither PM CDU nor RCDU seen!
  	***** Retrying Connection Checks *****
  	COM2 open okay
  	***** Checks aborted before completion *****
    30031: Refesh initialisation to synchronize switches
********* PFCFSX Log file closed *********

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          9/06/2014 2:15:43 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      FLIGHTSIMULATOR
Description:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 2.2.10438.0, time stamp: 0x53468776
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002e41b
Faulting process id: 0x1364
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf8399289146a0
Faulting application path: G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: b8f8c40c-ef8c-11e3-8c40-00248c7b5fa7
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-09T04:15:43.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>110524</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>FLIGHTSIMULATOR</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.2.10438.0</Data>
    <Data>53468776</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.18247</Data>
    <Data>521ea8e7</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0002e41b</Data>
    <Data>1364</Data>
    <Data>01cf8399289146a0</Data>
    <Data>G:\Prepar3D INSTALLATION\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>b8f8c40c-ef8c-11e3-8c40-00248c7b5fa7</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Thanks for the very quick response Pete.

I did try to copy the contents of all those files previously but found that they would not paste in this area, so now I will try with the parentheses.

OK, that works! I will try to remember this. As you will see in the 'event log', the faulting module is 'ntdll.dll' but this is the first time I have had this error with any application, so I have assumed it is not corrupt.

I look forward to your conclusions.

Regards,

Bill

As you will see in the 'event log', the faulting module is 'ntdll.dll' but this is the first time I have had this error with any application, so I have assumed it is not corrupt.

NTDLL is a major part of windows which supports a majority of the API calls made by any program. I think probably as many as 90% of all of the P3D crashes on exit were in NTDLL, and are possibly due to call backs occurring from P3D's SimConnect into a module which has already send a close notice to it and which is in fact no longer in memory. At least that's one main possibility that I can think of.

Please report the problem to L-M and supply the Windows error details as above -- not the FSUIPC or PFC logs as they don't show anything wrong.  Meanwhile I will certainly have a look at the ordering of closure events in FSUIPC for the PFCFSX module -- maybe a little re-ordering will help, i don't know, and since the problem doesn't happen here it will be difficult to tell.

One question: does it crash on exit no matter what you do in P3D? For instance, if you just load it up, get to the ready-to-fly stage then close it, does it still crash?

Pete

Meanwhile I will certainly have a look at the ordering of closure events in FSUIPC for the PFCFSX module -- maybe a little re-ordering will help, i don't know, and since the problem doesn't happen here it will be difficult to tell.

I've re-ordered the PFCFSX closing sequence slightly in a test version of FSUIPC4 for you to try. It makes no difference here, and I'm doubtful, but let me know.

Download FSUIPC4934bTest.zip

Pete

Hi Pete,

I still get the 'Fatal Error' message from the 'ready to fly' stage after about 15-20 seconds from exiting, but I have not previously been  experiencing any crashes from any stage of using the program. On exiting, the program always appears to have shut down normally to the desktop and after 15-20 seconds the error message comes up for about 5 seconds only. There are no other indications that anything is wrong with the program and you can restart the program again as normal if desired.

I have also tried the FSUIPC493bTest driver, but still get the error message as usual.

I will report the problem to LM and let you know if I get a response.

BTW, has anyone else reported this problem to you previously; unless this is just something for some reason unique to my set up, you would expect a report, unless they just decided to ignore it as harmless.

Thanks again Pete.

Bill

I have also tried the FSUIPC493bTest driver, but still get the error message as usual.

Well it was a pot luck sort of try.

BTW, has anyone else reported this problem to you previously; unless this is just something for some reason unique to my set up, you would expect a report, unless they just decided to ignore it as harmless.

No reports at all for P3D 2.2 and none previously for PFCFSX. I think these faiiures are very time critical -- on other systems (mine is an example) there'll be no such problem. It's all to do with the order in which things happen in different threads. The good thing is that they don't occur during a session, and end up just being a bit of an annoyance. As I say, I put up with them throughout P3D development until 2.2, which is the first one for me which doesn't crash on exit.

Pete