The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC New joystick issue in FSX

Hi all. I have seemed to have developed a joystick issue where my controls disconnect from FSUIPC. I'm on windows 8.1 and i used to always have this problem more than a year ago until i run them directly through Peter's utility and then it stopped but the last 2 days i have done long Haul's i have returned to my PC to find the Yoke, rudder pedals and quadrant have disconnected. 

This is nothing to do with FSUIPC, and I never understood why folks think that using FSUIPC assignment prevents this problem which is something all Windows 8 users seem to suffer from. I'm really glad I stuck to Win 7!

I am told there are things you can do in Windows 8 settings to alleviate the problem, if not actually cure it. One is, as it was in Win7, to make sure power management is turned off on all the USB devices and hubs you find listed in the Control Panel - System - Device Manager list. But there is also another setting which helps, which I cannot remember and cannot at present find for you. I will ask a friend who is using Win8.1. Perhaps he could post a FAQ subforum entry about it.

Pete

Hi Peter i hope you are well.  

I don't mean to be rude but did you read my post the whole way through?

It seems like you assume I'm suffering from the joystick disconnect problem a lot of Windows 8 users have reported when i don't think that is the case at all and if it sounds like i'm blaming your brilliant product i do apologize, I just thought it would be a good place to start for help.

I have used your product on Windows 8.1 for over a year and have it directly running my Controls and have never had one disconnect at all and that includes a lot of long haul flights of up to 16 hours but after i installed P3D with FSUICP and EZDOK with the new sim connect files this problem has started so i don't believe for one minute it is Windows 8.1 that is causing it now after more than a year of been fine. You also said for me to check the Power settings within Window's 8.1 which i said in my first post that i have already done. 

It is really frustrating to say the least as my FSX has run so smoothly with no CTD's or any other errors for months and now this start's out of no where. 

UPDATE: Also my FSX FSUICP version was updated on 2nd March which is something I've never done since i very first installed it. 

Any help or recommendations would be really appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ben 

Edited by Ben3083

I don't mean to be rude but did you read my post the whole way through?

Yes, of course, though I didn't study every line in the attached files.

It seems like you assume I'm suffering from the joystick disconnect problem a lot of Windows 8 users have reported when i don't think that is the case at all

I don't think I "assumed" that, I read it the words you wrote!  But if you believe your USB connections are perfectly fine and something else is going on, perhaps you can explain what you really think?

I have used your product on Windows 8.1 for over a year and have it directly running my Controls and have never had one disconnect at all and that includes a lot of long haul flights of up to 16 hours but after i installed P3D with FSUICP and EZDOK with the new sim connect files this problem has started so i don't believe for one minute it is Windows 8.1 that is causing it now after more than a year of been fine. You also said for me to check the Power settings within Window's 8.1 which i said in my first post that i have already done. 

Okay. So what do YOU think could be going on?

UPDATE: Also my FSX FSUICP version was updated on 2nd March which is something I've never done since i very first installed it. 

Well if you never updated P3D either then I suppose it doesn't matter so much, but certainly I cannot support old versions.

Any help or recommendations would be really appreciated.

I can only report on what I got from my friend, to stop USB disconnections. If really you are not getting any such problemsthen you need to be more explicit on what the problems are, because your message was explaining exactly that!

Here is his recommendations for steps that have worked perfectly for him:

-          Open Energy Options (might be Power Options like in Win7) in Control Panel

-          Then go to change Energy Saving Options of the selected Energy Saving Plan

-          There like always everything should be set to always ON …

-          Then select Advanced Options on that page

-          On that new panel (Energy Options) under the selected Energy Saving Plan there are two setting to take care of

o   Energy Saving, again everything should be set to No saving/ Always ON ..

o   USB-Settings -> Selective USB Energy Saving -> Deactivated/ Disabled

The first Energy Setting is just global and makes you to believe it includes USB but it doesn’t.

The second one, Selective USB Energy Saving doesn’t give you any idea for what it really is or what it does but it needs to be Disabled to keep the devices alive.

Not even the Help button does give any help about those settings …

I will probably make a FAQ subforum entry for this, but do please let me know.

Pete

Thanks for the Reply again Peter.

I'm certainly no expert but i don't think it's anything to do with the problem a lot of user's have reported with Window's 8 that it is causing this issue and i didn't mean to put across that's what i thought it was. Why would my controls work fine for a year or more programmed through your utility and then all of a sudden start disconnecting after this length of time?? 

Just to confirm i have never used or installed P3D before until i installed it on the 2nd of March which is the same date that i updated FSUIPC in FSX. Could it at all be possible that something in the updated version might conflict with Window's 8.1 or are there any known issues with running FSX and P3D beside each other? I know you have nothing to do with Ezdok but that program also installed some new simconnect files the same day, could new simconnect files affect the operation of the joystick's and FSUIPC? 

I have run through the tips at the bottom of your post above and everything is as it should be. I also went in to the device manger and went through all the USB devices in 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' and made sure under 'Power management' that the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' box was unticked.

Again i'm not pointing towards your great utility as the issue, i'm just trying to rule things out one by one so i can get to the bottom of the issue and i thought your forum would be a good place to start. 

EDIT: After re-reading your second post I'd also like to confirm i did have the Joystick disconnect issue when i first started using FSX and Windows 8.1 over a year ago, It used to disconnect after around 2 hours but then i Installed the paid version of your product and routed the controls through there everything was perfect after that and i never had an issue since.

Edited by Ben3083

I'm certainly no expert but i don't think it's anything to do with the problem a lot of user's have reported with Window's 8 that it is causing this issue and i didn't mean to put across that's what i thought it was. Why would my controls work fine for a year or more programmed through your utility and then all of a sudden start disconnecting after this length of time?? 

Sorry, I've no idea because I don't know why they disconnect in the first place. Nor do I understand why or how FSUIPC could possibly help in such matters as it uses precisely the same Windows API methods as FS and P3D.

Just to confirm i have never used or installed P3D before until i installed it on the 2nd of March which is the same date that i updated FSUIPC in FSX. Could it at all be possible that something in the updated version might conflict with Window's 8.1 or are there any known issues with running FSX and P3D beside each other?

On the first point, again, I don't know. Those are questions best directed to L-M on their Forums. But on the second point, I and many others have dual installs of FSX and P3D (in my case, FSX, FSX-SE, P3D1.4 and P3D2.5+hotfixes), and there is really no way I see they can interact with each other.

I know you have nothing to do with Ezdok but that program also installed some new simconnect files the same day, could new simconnect files affect the operation of the joystick's and FSUIPC? 

No. The joystick reading is direct via Windows, no SimConnect relationship at all. And each SimConnect DLL can be used independently according to how the application has been built. FSUIPC is flexible and uses any version, but for P3D it normally uses the one it installs itself in the Modules folder. It does that because by default P3D didn't use to install any Simconnect DLL in the Windows SxS system

Regards

Pete

It's certainly a strange one to why it's started doing it all of a sudden again. I have seen in previous threads that you have explained that FSUIPC uses the same Windows API methods but also if you read other post's a lot of user's report your Module has been the answer to fixing the issue which is also strange. I suppose the end solution is to go back to Windows 7 but the magnitude of that task is massive for myself.

I'll go back to the drawing board for now and try seek alternative solutions first.

Thanks for your reply's, keep up the good work.  

EDIT: Are the below entries at all normal and could it be after one of these events that the controls disconnect?

11738469 ***** HID USB device reconnected: re-initialising FSUIPC connections
 41002484 ***** HID USB device reconnected: re-initialising FSUIPC connections

I have also noticed that when the joystick disconnects, it's like clicking on another window apart from FSX as it jumps in to the background so to speak and the sounds go off etc and then the controls don't work when you click back into the FSX window and also it doesn't affect the Ezdok controls that are set up on the Joystick, they work perfectly still after the controls have disconnected. 
Edited by Ben3083