The simFlight Network Forums

Cannot edit FSX-SE DLL.XML problem

Hi Pete,

I saw others have the same problem, but I could not find a solution in other threads.

My history:

I had the FSX boxed version installed when I installed int FSX-SE. After that I uninstalled the boxed FSX.

I had to run the Flight1 tool to correct the Registry.

After that installs of Orbx and Rex went smooth. No problems.

I installed FSUIPC with the above mentioned problem and letting the installer run until the end.

Although I previously had used FSX-SE, I ran it again and closed it. Just to be sure.

I gave the FSUIPC installer another go with the same problem. (see attached log file)

In the log I find:

Cannot find FSX_SE.CFG. Looking to see if installed with FSX.CFG instead ...
Looking for the current user's Application Data path: 
... found as "C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one
etc.

What surprises me, is that the installer cannot find FSX_SE.CFG which is in:

C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG

It looks as if the 'user's Application Data path' is not found correctly.

Is ther a way to correct this?

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

Installer_log_FSUIPC.txt

I had the FSX boxed version installed when I installed int FSX-SE. After that I uninstalled the boxed FSX.

I had to run the Flight1 tool to correct the Registry.

Unfortunately, that "corrects" the path for some programs, but it will surely mess it up for those programs whose installer already understands the difference between a stand-alone and a side-by-side install of FSX-SE. So you've now got conflicts. The FSX-SE installation will be running as if it is side-by-side with FSX, with its own FSX-SE.CFG rather than an FSX.CFG, which it would have if it were stand-alone. AND the folders for the CFG and the Scenery CFG files will be different too.

I have modified FSUIPC's installer several times to try and cope with this sort of mess which folks seem to make in their desperation to install programs which don't understand what is happening.

Unfortunately you have been trying to install an older version of FSUIPC -- 4.939e. The earliest currently supported version of FSUIPC4 is 4.939n, which should, I hope, cope with the mess you have.  I cannot guarantee that, but until you try it I won't know. I tried to cope with all the combinations folks are cobbling together, but I can't swear they are all covered.

Even if the correct version of FSUIPC installs okay, I wouldn't be surprised if other programs you try to install later have problems, especially if they need to find the SCENERY.CFG or FSX.CFG files!

What surprises me, is that the installer cannot find FSX_SE.CFG which is in:

Yes, but in a free-standing install of FSX-SE it would be in

C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

This is part of the mess you have arrived at.

The current version of FSUIPC4's installer actually tries all 4 combinations:

C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG

C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx_se.CFG

C:\Users\FlightSim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx.CFG

each of which can arise through separate ways of messing up the registry!

Regards

Pete

Thanks a lot Pete. I'm gonna uninstall everything, then clean the registry, and then install FSX-SE in single mode. It's a lot of work, but probably the best way to do it.

(Thank God I'm retired) ;-)

Thanks a lot Pete. I'm gonna uninstall everything, then clean the registry, and then install FSX-SE in single mode. It's a lot of work, but probably the best way to do it.

(Thank God I'm retired) ;-)

Did you try FSUIPC 4.939n installer first? I'd like to know that it worked okay in your situation?

The registry cleanup isn't terribly easy. I think FSX-SE puts some sneaky marker in there somewhere to tell it whether it's running free-standing or side-by-side, and that's the one you'd certainly need to find.

I have one PC system with it free-standing (after a Windows re-install) and one side=by=side. Need both for testing! ;-)

Pete