The simFlight Network Forums

Some of my buttons quit working

I was having great success with button programming in FSUIPC. Using "profile" I was able to dedicate buttons to generate specific windows regardless of the aircraft being flown, i.e., the GPS is panel #4 in one plane, but panel #6 in another. By coding them in FSUIPC, I could always use the same buttons to get the same panel view. Nice. However....

Today I introduced a Hagstrom keyboard encoder (the USB108). I thought at first I "lost" the joystick (a LogiTech Extreme 3D Pro). Turns out that FS wants to play with the Hagstrom (thinks it's a joystick!). Several times I had to manually select the LogiTech joystick, but even then, I've lost access to the last six buttons? I still have control over the first six, plus all three axes.

I had to go back into FSUIPC and comment out some lines, replacing them with CONTROLS - OPTIONS, etc. in FS.

Here's a couple of snippets from my FSUIPC.INI file.

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
O=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>
1=Logitech Extreme 3D
1.GUID={A1771B00-D104-11E5-8001-444553540000}
0=KE-USB108 Joystick
0.GUID={E0B64150-E5FF-11E5-8001-444553540000}

[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10

[buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
1=P0,7,C65580,0
2=P0,6,C0,0

[AutoSave]
Next=1
Interval=60

END OF FIRST SNIP

[Profile.F1_Pilatus]
1=F1_Pilatus_PC-12 exec

[buttons.F1_Pilatus]
0=P0,7,C65580,0 ;autopilot master on
1=P0,6,C65725,0 ;autopilot heading hold on
;2=P0,11,C65909,0 ;display overhead panel
;3=P0,10,C65913,0 ;display throttle quadrant
;4=P0,9,C65914,0 ;display GPS
;5=P0,8,C65911,0 ;display radio stack

END OF SECOND SNIP - you can see where I commented out lines 2 thru 5. I "reassigned" them via FS to display the appropriate panel.

LAST SNIPPET

[Profile.DC-3 HSI]
1=DC3-NH2

[buttons.DC-3 HSI]
0=P0,10,C65907,0 ;display GPS window
1=P0,9,C65914,0 ;display radio stack
2=P0,7,C65580,0 ;Autopilot Master
3=P0,6,C65726,0 ;Autopilot Altitude Hold On
4=P0,6,C1017,0 ;incr alt on Ap fast (+1000)
5=P0,6,C1017,0 ;incr alt on Ap fast (+1000)

None of these will work in their present state since I can't "get" to the buttons.

I have nothing in the way of a joystick enabled in the Hagstrom encoder board. Why does FS think it's a joystick?
Why suddenly would another USB device lock me out of the use of certain buttons on my joystick?

I think I can do a work-around by assigning functions to keys (again - those statements will have to be inside FSUIPC) and then macro-programming
what I want (or what I *think* I want!) in the Hagstrom encoder.

Frustrating!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Today I introduced a Hagstrom keyboard encoder (the USB108). I thought at first I "lost" the joystick (a LogiTech Extreme 3D Pro). Turns out that FS wants to play with the Hagstrom (thinks it's a joystick!). Several times I had to manually select the LogiTech joystick, but even then, I've lost access to the last six buttons? I still have control over the first six, plus all three axes.

For Hagstrom support you need someone else, I can't help there. But it obviously identifies itself as a joystick type device.

However, if you are using FSUIPC for assignments it is a BIG mistake not to disable all controllers in FS. FS will always tend to make its own assignments for joystick devices it thinks are newly connected.

I had to go back into FSUIPC and comment out some lines, replacing them with CONTROLS - OPTIONS, etc. in FS

Why? I don't understand why you ever need to do that! If you assigned them surely you still want the assignments.

None of these will work in their present state since I can't "get" to the buttons.

Why have assignments to joystick #0 if you can't get to its buttons? More to the piont, HOW did you assign buttons in the first place? As you can see, there is also another device, the Logitech, as Joystick #1. But you've made no assignments to that?

If what you are really trying to say is that the device joystick ID numbers have changed, then, yes, that can happen when you have multiple devices and reconnect them, or reinstall Windows, or even update Windows. To avoid this you should use Joy Letters -- there's a chapter on this in the FSUIPC4 User guide.

I have nothing in the way of a joystick enabled in the Hagstrom encoder board. Why does FS think it's a joystick?

Because it tells Windows it is. It's not in FS or FSUIPC's control. It's what the USB data sent to Windows says. You need to talk to Hagstrom.

Why suddenly would another USB device lock me out of the use of certain buttons on my joystick?

You mean your device #1, the Logitech? See above about changes in IDs and why Joy Lettering is a good idea and why it was implemented!

Pete

Thanks Pete. I *do* remember seeing the part about Joy letters in the docs. I suspected the joystick #s was the culprit. I now see your point about the assignments. I'll go back and make certain that my joystick numbers (or letters) and button assignments match up. It's probably as simple as realizing that all my assignments were to joystick zero and now that joystick has become #1 - therefore none of the assignments are valid!

Before I gummed everything up earlier today I was really enjoying the fruits of my labor. Can't tell you how many times I've waded through certain sections of your docs. My first thought is that it's frustrating that Microsoft has gobs more of option numbers (like Cnnnnn) that never show up in FS. Of course, then I have to remind myself that Microsoft abandoned FS a long time ago.

Thanks for the job of the brain in the right direction.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

JoyLetters is a dream! The USB gremlins still attempt to trash my joystick data, but, since the gremlins are concentrating (apparently) on using numbers, they're not upsetting my button/key assignments. There's been so much to relearn since my last foray into this environment. My last keyboard encoder had to be programmed in DOS - at least this new one reads Windoze!

I'm amazed at how many people don't know what they're missing. When I got back into simming, I mentioned FSUIPC one day. The guys  - every one of them - thought FSUIPC only had something to do with weather. They were astounded when I showed them some of my button/key assignments. The power of your utility is like the average Joe having access to a multitude of joysticks and buttons - and all without ever having to futz with the keyboard!

Now I've gotta find a way to learn something about L:var and Lua - looks like I'll have to put my programmer's hat back on!

Thanks again for your help and for your great utility. The registration fee is still one of those unbelievable bargains!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL