The simFlight Network Forums

Some questions about using this with Warthog Hotas

So I want to set up my Hotas the way they are set up in actual military aircraft. 

So I want to make it so when I lift and pull the throttle all they way back it shuts down the engines.

I want to set the trim hat to work the way it would work. When I do pitch trime it seems to partly work. But the trim inputs seem to be huge. 

And the throttles i don't see how to get them to work to shut down the engines. Also when i start from a cold dead start I have to use the mouse to get the engines out of the off position and I would like to be able to push the engines forward to idle and have them start. 

I am doing this in FSX Steam edition and am using the IRIS F-22 Raptor driver.

I also tried to get the APU switch on the HOTAS to start the APU and that didn't seem to work. 

Hope you guys can help me. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

So I want to set up my Hotas the way they are set up in actual military aircraft. 

So I want to make it so when I lift and pull the throttle all they way back it shuts down the engines.

In FS the engines only shut down when the fuel it cut. So you'd need to assign a Fuel Cut control to the point on your throttle axis where you cant this to happen. You can do that on the right-hand side of FSUIPC's assignments tab.

I want to set the trim hat to work the way it would work. When I do pitch trime it seems to partly work. But the trim inputs seem to be huge.

There are many ways of dealing with trim. If the hat is only being seen as two buttons, "up" and "down" then using Elev Trim Up and Down controls you should be able to get single increments of about 256 (which is 1/64th of the range).  Surely 64 increments between level and full should be enough? Beware of repeats though. If FS sees two such controls close together it does often add accelerated changes -- like double tapping the relevant keys on the keyboard.

And the throttles i don't see how to get them to work to shut down the engines. Also when i start from a cold dead start I have to use the mouse to get the engines out of the off position and I would like to be able to push the engines forward to idle and have them start. 

It don't know how your military aircraft are stated, but usually you need some way of spinning them and then introducing fuel. If you know what controls you use to do that then, again, you can assign them to the throttle on the right-hand side of the assignments tab. Note that you can make different assignments there for increasing values to the decreasing ones you'd use to stop the engines.

Pete

So what I need to do is make sure the throttle range includes the part where you lift up and pull back the the throttles. Then set that point as fuel cut.

And in theory this should allow me to push the engines on....

Can fsuipc work with go flight panels?

In FS the engines only shut down when the fuel it cut. So you'd need to assign a Fuel Cut control to the point on your throttle axis where you cant this to happen. You can do that on the right-hand side of FSUIPC's assignments tab.

There are many ways of dealing with trim. If the hat is only being seen as two buttons, "up" and "down" then using Elev Trim Up and Down controls you should be able to get single increments of about 256 (which is 1/64th of the range).  Surely 64 increments between level and full should be enough? Beware of repeats though. If FS sees two such controls close together it does often add accelerated changes -- like double tapping the relevant keys on the keyboard.

It don't know how your military aircraft are stated, but usually you need some way of spinning them and then introducing fuel. If you know what controls you use to do that then, again, you can assign them to the throttle on the right-hand side of the assignments tab. Note that you can make different assignments there for increasing values to the decreasing ones you'd use to stop the engines.

Pete

On this on you turn on the apu then push the throttle out of off to idle and that should add fuel and start the engines. So if I get the fuel cut to work it should allow this to work...I will let you know when I get home Monday if it worked...

There are actually buttons in the Warthog throttle unit that get "pressed" when the throttle lever is lifted back over the detent. You can use these to cut the fuel when pressed and restore it when they are released.