The simFlight Network Forums

Tower3D: Fun with KPHL and SC

Avwriter

I have been fiddling around with using SC and modifying a homemade terminal file for KPHL.  For now, I have shut down terminals B and C, since both have a couple of gates that do not work and end up causing problems with aircraft stuck at the gate.  I understand this will be fixed with the SP, but for now it is the best solution.  Thus, I have shifted all the traffic from B/C to the other terminals.  I am finding this airport to be a lot of fun with its crossing runways, and adding a schedule with heavier traffic makes it an interesting challenge.  I am attaching my KPHL extension file, including the deactivated B and C terminals, and a schedule file from SC with 1700 flights over 24 hours, in case someone wants to try it.  This will provide steady traffic at all times of the day and night.  In case you are not familiar with SC, the exact number of flights per hour vary and may be found at the bottom of the schedule file.  So far, I have not experienced the 70% issue at KPHL.  It's not perfect, and the teminal assignments are obviously not realistic, but just drop the whole folder into Tower3D->Extensions->Airfields and it should be ready to go.

KPHL.zip

2 hours ago, FeelThere said:

Did you get the hotfix? It is likely it fixes the KPHL gate issues too.

Really? I did get the hotfix.  I did not see any mention of this fix in you announcement when the fix was released " All it solve is the 70% load crash and the inactive Start button. It also possibly solve the colliding airplanes at TBIT at KLAX but no guarantee."   I will go back and check though.

Vic, I did go back and test, using the default traffic, and I did encounter the problem again.  In this case, it was an aircraft parked on the west side of Terminal D, parked in the slot closest to the main building.  My observation is that the aircraft was blocked in by other aircraft parked in adjacent slots, including the perpendicular slot between terminals C and D.  I had no way to clear the other aircraft out, except by deleting the surrounding airplanes since they were not yet ready to go.  When I cleared the aircraft in question to taxi, the jetway puled back, the tug move into position, and then the plane just sat there.  Now this is different from what some others reported regarding the lack of a pushback truck at some positions, so I am not sure if is really a bug, or just a limitation of the engine.  I have seen similar behaviors happen in Tower 2011 at some airports. However, there is no solution to the problem, other than by deleting the blocking airplane(s), causing a large point loss, or by waiting potentially for a long time for one of the surrounding aircraft to be come active and request pushback, also causing a point loss.  Thus in all cases, the user is penalized through no fault of his own.  I am sorry that I cannot provide a game.log, but my machine is one of those that is incapable of running the .bat.  However, form my description, can you confirm if this is a behavior that you are familiar with?  It should be easily reproduceable even without the gaem.log using any time period when the gates are mostly full.  It only seems to happen at KPHL, due to its particular layout.  I believe that if the amount of space between terminals C and D, as well as between B and C were a bit greater, then the problem would not exist.

1 hour ago, Avwriter said:

Vic, I did go back and test, using the default traffic, and I did encounter the problem again.  In this case, it was an aircraft parked on the west side of Terminal D, parked in the slot closest to the main building.  My observation is that the aircraft was blocked in by other aircraft parked in adjacent slots, including the perpendicular slot between terminals C and D.  I had no way to clear the other aircraft out, except by deleting the surrounding airplanes since they were not yet ready to go.  When I cleared the aircraft in question to taxi, the jetway puled back, the tug move into position, and then the plane just sat there.  Now this is different from what some others reported regarding the lack of a pushback truck at some positions, so I am not sure if is really a bug, or just a limitation of the engine.  I have seen similar behaviors happen in Tower 2011 at some airports. However, there is no solution to the problem, other than by deleting the blocking airplane(s), causing a large point loss, or by waiting potentially for a long time for one of the surrounding aircraft to be come active and request pushback, also causing a point loss.  Thus in all cases, the user is penalized through no fault of his own.  I am sorry that I cannot provide a game.log, but my machine is one of those that is incapable of running the .bat.  However, form my description, can you confirm if this is a behavior that you are familiar with?  It should be easily reproduceable even without the gaem.log using any time period when the gates are mostly full.  It only seems to happen at KPHL, due to its particular layout.  I believe that if the amount of space between terminals C and D, as well as between B and C were a bit greater, then the problem would not exist.

Please post a screenshot

I am still trying to reproduce the exact scenario described before (seems trickier than expected, because the same time frame does not always produce the same aircraft), but here is an example of a plane in the above scenario being pushed into another aircraft to such an extent that it produces a -500 point deduction Ground Collision Alert.  The second image shows another similar incident, with an aircraft being pushed from another direction; the second one did not produce a point deduction, but obviously did result in some bizarre visual effects.  In general,2016-06-14 00_03_06-Greenshot.jpg having an aircraft in the gate at the very top of the screen seems to cause problems to varying degrees.

2016-06-13 23_59_29-Greenshot.jpg