The simFlight Network Forums

E175 - Issues reducing speed for landing

Shom

Hi,

I find it very difficult to reduce the speed of the E175 on approach towards landing (to a point I need to use the speed brakes up until before the landing).

The NGX which I also find hard to slow down is even easier to slow down.

Is this a normal behaviour of the E175? If so any tips on how to set the plane better for approach?

Thanks!

Shom

6 hours ago, Shom said:

Hi,

I find it very difficult to reduce the speed of the E175 on approach towards landing (to a point I need to use the speed brakes up until before the landing).

The NGX which I also find hard to slow down is even easier to slow down.

Is this a normal behaviour of the E175? If so any tips on how to set the plane better for approach?

Thanks!

Shom

I believe a few real world ERJ pilots confirmed that to be a correct characteristic of the aircraft. The way I slow it down is to either take the plane manually under 10,000 or take it out of VNAV and go into VS descent mode and aim to get to the intercept altitude early. With the plane leveled out you can get it down 170 or so with some flaps and from there by the time the GS comes you shouldn't have an issue getting the speed down. Also helps to disengage AT at some point to ensure the speed you want will be met. 

Also holds can be your best-friend in a sim. If you're to high and fast enter a hold and you should be able to hit your constraint or desired altitude, then exit the hold when ready. These tips are flying offline if you are online especially on PilotEdge you might need to make a few requests to do this to prevent spacing issues and what not. These work for me but i'm sure theres more out there someone else has. 

Thanks 

Jamie  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jamieleon1 said:

I believe a few real world ERJ pilots confirmed that to be a correct characteristic of the aircraft. The way I slow it down is to either take the plane manually under 10,000 or take it out of VNAV and go into VS descent mode and aim to get to the intercept altitude early. With the plane leveled out you can get it down 170 or so with some flaps and from there by the time the GS comes you shouldn't have an issue getting the speed down. Also helps to disengage AT at some point to ensure the speed you want will be met. 

Also holds can be your best-friend in a sim. If you're to high and fast enter a hold and you should be able to hit your constraint or desired altitude, then exit the hold when ready. These tips are flying offline if you are online especially on PilotEdge you might need to make a few requests to do this to prevent spacing issues and what not. These work for me but i'm sure theres more out there someone else has. 

Thanks 

Jamie  

Thanks Jamie!

I actually do use the VS function (-1000) usually below 10,000 ft.

I use radar contact which gives you step descents while vectoring you.

I guess I'll have to take a longer downwind to make sure I'm levelled off for some time before capturing the GS.

2 hours ago, Shom said:

Thanks Jamie!

I actually do use the VS function (-1000) usually below 10,000 ft.

I use radar contact which gives you step descents while vectoring you.

I guess I'll have to take a longer downwind to make sure I'm levelled off for some time before capturing the GS.

Hmmm I've only tried PRO-ATC X which is good but sometimes literally forgets you or vectors you to pretty much nowhere when withing 20-30nm from the airport. 

How do you like radar contact? 

1 hour ago, jamieleon1 said:

Hmmm I've only tried PRO-ATC X which is good but sometimes literally forgets you or vectors you to pretty much nowhere when withing 20-30nm from the airport. 

How do you like radar contact?

It's old but very good (and also freeware)

I've been using if for over 10 years...

The strongest point is that it's rock solid always vectoring you correctly never crashing etc...

On the downside it does not handle SID/STAR vectoring and also does not support voice control.

Check it out it's freeware now...

Dropping the gear a little early helps you slow down too. Pro ATC x is terrible at vectoring but Radar Contact is spot on. Since Radar Contact doesn’t have stars or approaches it can sometimes be a little off with altitude. Definitely need to manage your speed and angle somewhat on descent with this aircraft. The 3 degree fpa target can be a little aggressive depending on the wind and you may need to use speed brake.

Depending on winds it can sometime be beneficial to disengage auto throttle for a little bit. Sometimes AT goes a little bit above fms speed and takes a little while to stabilize. Same thing seems to happen at cruise with certain winds and turbulence conditions.

5 hours ago, JasonPC said:

Dropping the gear a little early helps you slow down too. Pro ATC x is terrible at vectoring but Radar Contact is spot on. Since Radar Contact doesn’t have stars or approaches it can sometimes be a little off with altitude. Definitely need to manage your speed and angle somewhat on descent with this aircraft. The 3 degree fpa target can be a little aggressive depending on the wind and you may need to use speed brake.

Depending on winds it can sometime be beneficial to disengage auto throttle for a little bit. Sometimes AT goes a little bit above fms speed and takes a little while to stabilize. Same thing seems to happen at cruise with certain winds and turbulence conditions.

I use the gear method as well it just seems to me an unrealistic procedure...