The simFlight Network Forums

.NET 6 support

777ipod

Hi Paul,

I have used last year the .NET 5 package you released. That worked well. As now .NET 6 LTS version is released. is it possible that you can release one package for .NET 6. The current version works so far i noticed but visual studio stay screaming its incompatible.

• 2 months later...

Not sure what this could be. Sounds like something has gone wrong with the package management in your project.

Try going to NuGet and updating to the latest version (3.2.16).

If that doesn't work try removing the package from the solution explorer and then adding it in again via NuGet.

Paul

I don't know what else to suggest. I'm pretty sure the NuGet package is okay. I've made a new .NET 6 project here and added the NuGet package and it compiles fine.

Maybe you can test it on a new project. If you don't get the error on the new project then it must be something to do with the configuration of your current project/solution.

Paul

I've experimented with different types of .NET6 projects. I managed to reproduce the error by using a .NET6 Console application.

The problem was that by default, console applications do not target the windows operating system. The DLL uses the .NET6-Windows framework (net6.0-windows), so your application needs to also target Windows specifically. (An FSUIPC client cannot run on any other operating system because it uses the Win32 API).

I suspect your application is also not set to target Windows.

Check your project properties and set to Windows if it's not already:

image.thumb.png.fb87931695a419588c7191d8ce3ee035.png

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Sort of related - I'm updating an app from .NET 4.8 to NET Core 3.1... that's still LTS and some other libraries I use don't have 5/6 support for various reasons (damn you, WinRT...). I'm not sure which version to go with.

I'm getting this message; is it possible to have core 3.1 added?

Trying to go back to a version where I don't see dependencies:

[15:13:26 ERR] [NuGet] Package FSUIPCClientDLL 3.1.27 is not compatible with netcoreapp3.1 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1). Package FSUIPCClientDLL 3.1.27 supports: net40 (.NETFramework,Version=v4.0)

And then with the latest:

[15:14:45 ERR] [NuGet] Package FSUIPCClientDLL 3.2.17 is not compatible with netcoreapp3.1 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.1). Package FSUIPCClientDLL 3.2.17 supports:
  - net40 (.NETFramework,Version=v4.0)
  - net5.0-windows7.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v5.0)
  - net6.0-windows7.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v6.0)

Unless I'm doing something wrong here - the targeting is really confusing and getting other (cryptic, unrelated) build errors aren't helping

Nevermind, it looks like it should be compatible, according to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/frameworks#net-5-os-specific-tfms

I'm not sure what it's complaining about... the error I'm getting is this, so I'm assuming that it's because it couldn't find the proper build platform for the FSUIPCDLL:

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error		CA0055 : Could not identify platform for 'C:\***\bin\Debug\netcoreapp3.1\win-x64\acars.dll'.	AcarsClient		1	

If you want to run everything on the NET core 3.1 runtime then you'll need a specific version of my dll for that. Your app might work with the existing dll, but your users will need the correct .NET runtime installed. I suspect it will use the 4.6 Framework version, so they'll need that as well as your core 3.1 runtime.

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if it's possible for the dll to target core 3.1. I believe it includes Winforms so it might be okay. I know I couldn't do Core 2 as there was no winforms. I don't think I tried 3.

Paul 

Don't worry about it - it's EOL. I have it working with "net5.0-windows10.0.18362.0", since that's what ModernWPF needs to get it working correctly. So now the FSUIPC errors have gone away - I think before it did not like multiple targetframeworks when I was trying that before, that's why I dropped to 3.1 I'd rather get 5.0 working anyway. Thanks for your time!

• Like 1