The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG DC-6 Power Reduced Until FSUIPC is Disconnected

505Northman

Hello!

I'm having a bit of an issue with my installation of FSUIPC. I'm attempting to use the PMDG DC-6 with FSUIPC by using the "Throttle Axis Set Ex1" for the throttle control. I'm having an issue however with a reduced amount of power when using FSUIPC. When I disconnect FSUIPC from the simulator, my DC-6 will accelerate up to the speeds that are listed in the aircraft's POH. I am also able to get the expected amount of power when using the in-game controls and setting the throttles there. When I set my throttles in FSUIPC and then try to set the power, the manifold pressure, BMEP, and prop RPM are all indicated the same but the airspeed of the aircraft decreases by about 15-20 knots. I'm unsure exactly as to why this is occurring so any help I could get would be greatly appreciated!

So the throttle input values are the same, conditions are the same (i.e. wind speed and direction), but you cannot achieve the same airspeed?
This does sound strange... The title says 'Until FSUIPC is Disconnected' - does this mean that if you assign the throttle in MSFS and have FSUIPC7 running but not controlling the throttle, you still get the same issue? And if you stop FSUIPC7, you then get increased power? What if you run FSIOPC7 with no assignments (i.e. temporarily rename your FSUIPC7.ini file)? Please clarify.

Maybe you could also verify the input throttle values are the same when assigned in MSFS as when assigned in FSUIPC7. To do this, activate logging for Axis Controls in FSUIPC, open the logging console and monitor the parameters to the "Throttle Axis Set Ex1"  event.  Do this when throttle assigned in MSFS and when throttle assigned in FSUIPC7 and see if the parameter values for those controls look roughly the same.

Yes, the throttle input values were the same and conditions also the same (airport, weather, time, weights) but with throttles assigned in FSUIPC I could not get the same airspeed as if I assigned it directly through the in-game controls. 

There is also the issue that the automated flight engineer cannot maintain the airspeed indicated in the POH but as soon as I disconnect FSUIPC it would finally speed up to the expected speed.

It seems that your solution to rename FSUIPC7.ini and then try again resolved the issue and I am now able to get the same airspeed that I was normally supposed to get so that issue has been resolved at this point, after the creation of the new ini file. Thank you very much for your help in regards to this issue. I'm not sure exactly what was causing the slowdown on the old FSUIPC.ini but if you would like me to attach that I can do so.

Once again, thanks!

13 hours ago, 505Northman said:

It seems that your solution to rename FSUIPC7.ini and then try again resolved the issue and I am now able to get the same airspeed that I was normally supposed to get so that issue has been resolved at this point, after the creation of the new ini file.

If this was the case, then it looks like you either had a bad calibration configured, or maybe dual assignments (i.e. assigned in MSFS and FSUIPC7.
By starting with a fresh ini, you will have lost all of your assignments in FSUIPC7 and will have to start again.

If assigning in FSUIPC, please check that you do not also have assignments in MSFS as this can create conflicts. I recommend starting with an empty profile for your controllers in MSFS if assigning in FSUIPC.

13 hours ago, 505Northman said:

but if you would like me to attach that I can do so.

Yes, please do.

John

Nothing looks too bad in your ini, but I would recommend two changes for your DC-6 profile. First, change your [Profile.DC-6] section to the following:

[Profile.DC-6]
1=PMDG DC-6

This will then match all PMDG-DC6 variants.

Secondly, create a profile specific calibration section for your DC-6. To do this, with the DC-6 loaded open the FSUIPC axis assignments panel, go to the calibration tab, check the profile-specific button and then click 'Ok' to save.

But I doubt these changes will solve your issue. If you still see the same problem, I need to see your log files. Generate one with your current ini (updated with the proposed changes) and one with a default ini (i.e. temporarily rename your current ini). For both tests, activate logging for  Axes Controls, load the DC-6 and move the throttle from min to max and then back again, then exit FSUIPC7. Show me / attach both logs (as well as your updated ini).

Note also that when you are using a default ini, you will have to re-assign your throttle in MSFS or it won't have any affect. When you are using your current ini, make sure that you have no assignments to your throttle in MSFS. The easiest way to do this is to switch profiles (in MSFS) - use an empty one for FSUIPC and you can (probably) use the default one when not using FSUIPC (by which I mean with a default ini file, i.e. throttle not assigned.

John