The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 7 and Key assignments for MSFS

Stuart Hurst

Hiya all.
I'm in the process of actually building a dedicated sim now at home.  I've used FSUIPC for years too, but been away for the past couple of years.  Anyway, long story short, I have the latest version of MSFS, and I have PMDG 737 700 and 800 installed.  I can see in FSUIPC that there are supports for these aircraft.

I am building a FMC, I've 3d printed the box, buttons etc - everything I need, and am using a Leo Bodnar BBI 32port switch box.  I've tested a Microswitch in Windows 11 and in FSUIPC 7.  It's recognized just fine.  However, when I assign it to 737 Left FMS letter a, pressing the microswitch fails to have that letter show on the FMS in the 737 800.

I've come across some other issues with FSUIPC - such as the fuel idle / cut off.  The "details" are there for the assignment but when assigned, they do nothing in the sim.  Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Stuart Hurst said:

However, when I assign it to 737 Left FMS letter a, pressing the microswitch fails to have that letter show on the FMS in the 737 800.

How have you assigned this?

3 minutes ago, Stuart Hurst said:

I've come across some other issues with FSUIPC - such as the fuel idle / cut off.  The "details" are there for the assignment but when assigned, they do nothing in the sim.  Am I missing something?

Again,. how is this assigned? For idle / cut off levers in the PMDG 737, please see the following post: 

John

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Does it work in the 737-700? If so, it will be an issue with the 737-800.
That preset uses the Rotor Brake control with a parameter of 57301 - you could try assigning to that instead, to check its not an issue somewhere with the execution if the preset.

Which document has these parameters in - I've been looking but can't find the right document

11 hours ago, Stuart Hurst said:

Which document has these parameters in - I've been looking but can't find the right document

See the following FAQ entry for using the Rotor Brake control for PMDG aircraft in MSFS: 

Note also that this method is deprecated (it can still be used without issues - all or most of the PMFG presets use the Rotor Brake method).
The preferred (and more powerful) method is to use Custom Controls, as you can use actual parameter values with these, as well as the mouse-code operation parameters. See the following FAQ entry on using Custom Controls: 

The custom control number for FMS left A is calculated from this entry in the PMDG_NG3_SDK.h file (in your Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\Documentation\SDK folder) :
     #define EVT_CDU_L_A                                        (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 573)
and so the custom control number would be 70205.

So, if the Rotor Brake control doesn't work, try the custom control instead.
If the Rotor Brake control did work, and the preset using this doesn't, there may ne a problem with your installation somewhere. Check you are using the latest version of FSUIPC, which is 7.3.15.

John

Brilliant - thanks John.  Can't say I fully understand what you are saying - but I will start experimenting.  Having said that though, I've seen you mention Hubhop, and can see the rotor values for the 737-7.  I'm wondering if the 737-7 and 737-8 use the same values as I see presets for the parking brakes to be set on / off, but not in the 737-800

But, thanks for all the help.  This is a long term project as I've only just 3d printed the Captains Side instrument panel, and am starting the lower Overhead panel now.  But this is great help

7 hours ago, Stuart Hurst said:

Brilliant - thanks John.  Can't say I fully understand what you are saying - but I will start experimenting.  Having said that though, I've seen you mention Hubhop, and can see the rotor values for the 737-7.  I'm wondering if the 737-7 and 737-8 use the same values as I see presets for the parking brakes to be set on / off, but not in the 737-800

Most, but maybe not all) presets for the 737-700 will be ok for the 737-800. However, I cannot confirm this as I don't have the 737-800, but the simple way to check this is to compare the header files they provide - if they are the same, the rotot brake parameters and custom control numbers will be the same.

And if you find that any are not working as advertised, and they are being correctly applied in the FS, then it will be an issue for PMDG support.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,

John