The simFlight Network Forums

Helicopter throttle

Ron Attwood

Me again. 😕 What is it about throttles and MSFS? This time it's Taogs HUEY. Throttle only responds to the MSFS in game controllers.   AXIS_HELICOPTER_THROTTLE_SET in FSUIPC works fine for the Flyinside 206 and G47 but none of the options for throttle work for the Huey. I've had to resort to the MSFS assignment for it.

Question is is there a workaround. Some bright spark suggested I get SPAD! 🙄

16 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Question is is there a workaround.

I do not have this aircraft so cannot advise. You need to use the standard techniques for determining what control the aircraft is using - logging. First try logging for Axes Controls, open the logging console window (Log-> Open Console) and see if any axes control is logged when you move the throttle in the VC. If anything is logged, try using that. If nothing is logged, try logging Input Events. Again, with the logging console open, move the throttle in the VC and see if any Input Events are registered, and if so you can use those. But be aware that you cannot assign an axis to an Input Event directly, you have to assign to an FSUIPC offset and have a lua script that monitors the offset and sends the Input Event - I can help with this if needed.

If no Input Events are logged, then the next step would be look into seeing if possible to control using lvars.

John

Thanks John, I appreciate the offer, but coming to my senses I realised that I probably won't be flying this helicopter very much after the initial enthusiasm wears off. What beats me is how many ways do you need to make an axis work. As far as I can see you need at most 11 axis to assign. Anyway, I promise I wont bug you any more about throttles. 😁

11 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

What beats me is how many ways do you need to make an axis work. As far as I can see you need at most 11 axis to assign.

Yes - thats why its a good idea to use logging to see what is actually being used. Especially for helicopters - although the specific helicopter controls were added quite late so quite a few of the older ones don't use these, but I would expect newer models to use the these helicopter-specific controls:

AXIS_CYCLIC_LATERAL_SET -> calibrate as Aileron
        AXIS_CYCLIC_LONGITUDINAL_SET  -> calibrate as Elevator
        AXIS_COLLECTIVE_SET -> calibrate as Prop-pitch
        AXIS_HELICOPTER_THROTTLE_SET -> calibrate as Throttle
        HELICOPTER_THROTTLE_SET -> calibrate as Throttle
        AXIS_HELICOPTER_THROTTLE1_SET -> calibrate as Throttle1
        HELICOPTER_THROTTLE1_SET -> calibrate as Throttle1
        AXIS_HELICOPTER_THROTTLE2_SET -> calibrate as Throttle2
        HELICOPTER_THROTTLE2_SET -> calibrate as Throttle2

John