The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG B777 for MSFS Button Mappings?

jordanal

Hi John et al,

I've been using FSUIPC7 to map PMDG B737 buttons to my Honeycomb hardware for the past few years and it continues to work great.

Now that the PMDG B773 for MSFS has been released, I'm wondering if I'll be able to map its buttons using FSUIPC7 as well in the future?

Thanks for any info you can share,

- Al

8 hours ago, jordanal said:

Now that the PMDG B773 for MSFS has been released, I'm wondering if I'll be able to map its buttons using FSUIPC7 as well in the future?

You should be able to use the PMDG custom controls for the PMDG 777 in the same way as for the PMDG 737. See the following FAQ entry on this subject: 

The PMDG-specific offsets for the 777 are not yet available (they are for the 737). I will enable these at some point (i.e. if/when PMDG provide me with the relevant information or a license to investigate this).

John

• Upvote 1

I have the PMDG 777 now so it will be easier for me to advise on how to assign for this aircraft now.

I have also noticed that some presets (130) have now been added to HubHop for the PMDG 737 now, so those not comfortable using custom controls can check to see if a preset is available. I have attached the latest events.txt file (from MobiFlight) below - use this to replace the one in your FSUIPC7 installation folder, and restart FSUIPC7 if running.

I will now look into adding / enabling the additional PMDG 777 specific FSUIPC offsets.

John

events.txt

• Like 1

Hi John,

Could you briefly explain the concept of offsets based on my current (possibly incorrect) knowledge:

-Offsets have a reserved range within FSUIPC

-Offsets are based on data within the header files, and the data space between them depend on the type of data within the header file

-Offsets cannot be “read” until the header file has been analyzed by the software developer and exposed within the reserved range

I have the paid version of your software, and I’m looking to analyze various offsets.

My main question at this point is whether my assumption is correct that until updated, new offsets are technically within the reserved range but not readable until officially allocated.

Thank you for writing and supporting the software, it is very useful with MSFS and external control modules.

-

nebula

Edited by nebula

16 hours ago, nebula said:

-Offsets have a reserved range within FSUIPC

Offsets are just a 65535 byte memory are in FSUIPC, starting from 0000 and going to FFFF.

-Offsets are based on data within the header files, and the data space between them depend on the type of data within the header file

No. An offset address is just a memory area. Offset address can be populated from reading simvars or lvars, cna be used internally by FSUIPC or can be used to hold client data from specific aircraft (only PMDG airliners supported for this). The client data held in offsets is based upon the the data structures provided by PMDG, but this data is split into different offset areas. See the specific PMDG offset data documents for how to access PMDG data via offsets.

Note that in the current release of FSUIPC7, only the offsets for the PMDG 737 are enabled. I have enabled the offsets for the 777 now and will be releasing this shortly (i.e. in the next few days) , as 7.4.14.

I have the paid version of your software, and I’m looking to analyze various offsets.

Take a look at the FSUIPC7 Offset status document, and also the specific offset documents for PMDG aircraft. I have attached the one for the PMDG 777 below.

My main question at this point is whether my assumption is correct that until updated, new offsets are technically within the reserved range but not readable until officially allocated.

Not sure what this means. You can read any offset at any time, but whether that offset holds any relevant data depends on the offset and possibly the aircraft loaded. The PMDG offsets will not hold any relevant data for the 777 until I have enabled this (the next release), but they will hold data for the 737, if enabled both n FSUIPC7 and in the aircraft itself.

John

10 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Offsets are just a 65535 byte memory are in FSUIPC, starting from 0000 and going to FFFF.

No. An offset address is just a memory area. Offset address can be populated from reading simvars or lvars, cna be used internally by FSUIPC or can be used to hold client data from specific aircraft (only PMDG airliners supported for this). The client data held in offsets is based upon the the data structures provided by PMDG, but this data is split into different offset areas. See the specific PMDG offset data documents for how to access PMDG data via offsets.

Note that in the current release of FSUIPC7, only the offsets for the PMDG 737 are enabled. I have enabled the offsets for the 777 now and will be releasing this shortly (i.e. in the next few days) , as 7.4.14.

Take a look at the FSUIPC7 Offset status document, and also the specific offset documents for PMDG aircraft. I have attached the one for the PMDG 777 below.

Not sure what this means. You can read any offset at any time, but whether that offset holds any relevant data depends on the offset and possibly the aircraft loaded. The PMDG offsets will not hold any relevant data for the 777 until I have enabled this (the next release), but they will hold data for the 737, if enabled both n FSUIPC7 and in the aircraft itself.

John

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, I look forward to the software update!

• Upvote 1