The simFlight Network Forums

Lua script to set the COM1 standby frequency (FSUIPC6 and P3Dv5)

Isak

*** Moved from FSUIPC7 / MSFS sub-forum to main support forum ***

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a small Arduino project that allows me to input a radio frequency using a keypad. The frequency is displayed on an LCD screen. For example, if I type 120.800 and press the "#" key, the following appears in the serial monitor:

COM1SB 120.800

What I want to achieve is setting the COM1 standby frequency in the simulator. I believe I’ll need to write a Lua script to detect the string "COM1SB", extract the frequency, and send it to the simulator using ipc.control.

Am I correct that 66371 (COM_STBY_RADIO_SET) is the right ipc.control command to use? Could someone share an example of a Lua script that would accomplish this?

Best regards,
Isak

Edited by John Dowson
Moved to main support forum, key file removed

• Isak changed the title to Lua script to set the COM1 standby frequency (FSUIPC6 and P3Dv5)

First, you posted in the sub-forum for FSUIPC7 / MSFS - please use the main forum for all other versions of FSUIPC, not the specific sub-forum for FSUIPC7.
You also attached the trial license/key file for FSUIPC7 for some reason...I have removed that.

16 hours ago, Isak said:

Am I correct that 66371 (COM_STBY_RADIO_SET) is the right ipc.control command to use? Could someone share an example of a Lua script that would accomplish this?

Yes, that is the correct control/event, but be aware that the parameter for that control is in BCD16 format (Binary-encoded decimal), so to set to 120.80 you would use:
     ipc.control(66371, 0x2080)
(the leading 1 is assumed).

17 hours ago, Isak said:

I believe I’ll need to write a Lua script to detect the string "COM1SB", extract the frequency,

That is the difficult bit. You would need to register a function to receive key presses (using the event.key function) for the keys 'C'. 'O', 'M'. '1', ' ', 'S', 'B', ',' , and all the digits, then keep track of everything entered and in the correct order....I really can't recommend doing it this way....

Maybe take a look at this user' contribution, which is a lua script to allow keyboard entry for radios (as well as obs and AP). Its for FSUIPC4, but should work with FSUIPC5, although some small modifications may be needed: 

John