The simFlight Network Forums

Firewall in XP

Hi,

I have been using Widefs for about 3months and I have sparodic problems with R/W i.e losing connectivity, I am using tcp/ip, do I need to switch off my Firewall when using tcp/ip. If I run R/W on host machine without widefs I do not get any problems, could I have the wrong settings

in the config file? or do you think this may be related to something else?

Thanks in anticipation

Bill :?

I have been using Widefs for about 3months and I have sparodic problems with R/W i.e losing connectivity

What's "R/W" stand for in this context please? I don't understand. Have you checked the Log files to see what is happening?

I am using tcp/ip, do I need to switch off my Firewall when using tcp/ip

If the connection is made okay without changing anything in the firewall I would guess it is okay. Surely the firewall only applies to an external connection, i.e. the Internet?

If I run R/W on host machine without widefs I do not get any problems, could I have the wrong settings

Ahis "R/W" Roger Wilco, by any chance? If so, what "connectivity" are you talking about? Where does WideFS come in? If you mean R/W connecting to the Internet, then obviously you really want to run R/W on whichever PC has the Internet connection, so WideFS is not really anything to do with it, is it?

in the config file? or do you think this may be related to something else?

Sorry, I've no idea. More information needed. Else it is all guess work.

Regards,

Pete

Roger Wilco will connect on any computer connected to the internet, be it directly or through ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or other mean to share a connection (dedicated software, router, etc...)

WideFS is not in cause, you need to check your internet connection sharing settings, and yes the XP built-in firewall can interfere, I'd advise to turn it off and replace it with another solution that is more customizable.

If you want more help we need more information about the way you share your internet connection...