The simFlight Network Forums

V4.90 - Battery Problem

Good Morning,

I installed V4.90 (FSUIPC) back in May when it first came out as per instructions. This is the registered copy. Since then I seem to not be able to turn off my electrics in most (possibly all) aircraft. Certainly the GA machines are affected. Now I did have the option to extend the battery life turned on when I installed this version and I believe the new installation picked up on the old parameters. The extension was by a factor of roughly 2 or 3 times. I then de-selected this option after discovering my problem, but it persists. If I disable FSUIPC the problem goes away, and comes back when I re-enable it (I disable it by renaming the FSUIPC4.DLL to *.OFF and same with the FSUIPC.ini).

Would you please be able to give me a hint on what I might try or where to look to see if I can resolve this? Many thanks for the assist.

Glenn

I installed V4.90 (FSUIPC) back in May when it first came out as per instructions. This is the registered copy. Since then I seem to not be able to turn off my electrics in most (possibly all) aircraft. Certainly the GA machines are affected. Now I did have the option to extend the battery life turned on when I installed this version and I believe the new installation picked up on the old parameters. The extension was by a factor of roughly 2 or 3 times. I then de-selected this option after discovering my problem, but it persists. If I disable FSUIPC the problem goes away, and comes back when I re-enable it (I disable it by renaming the FSUIPC4.DLL to *.OFF and same with the FSUIPC.ini).

There is nothing in FSUIPC which prevents batteries being turned off and there never has been. Something else is doing that. There isn't even any option to do that in FSUIPC.  If it is different with or without FSUIPC running it is because you have something installed which is dependent upon FSUIPC.

The battery life extension option is not at all related to the battery switch. It merely maintains voltages, or lets them lessen more slowly according to parameter, when the battery switch is on. It cannot possibly stop the battery switch being turned off.

Pete

Thanks Peter. I may not have been very clear, or maybe this is just a different way of saying the same thing. Physically (virtually at least :)) the battery switch does turn off. It's just that the electrics stay on. Conversely, when loading (even the default 172) aircraft, the electrics fire up even though the battery and Avionics switches have yet to be turned on. Is this how you read this, or does this change things?

Thanks much,

Glenn

Edited by WAC01

Thanks Peter. I may not have been very clear, or maybe this is just a different way of saying the same thing. Physically (virtually at least :)) the battery switch does turn off. It's just that the electrics stay on. Conversely, when loading (even the default 172) aircraft, the electrics fire up even though the battery and Avionics switches have yet to be turned on. Is this how you read this, or does this change things?

There is no way FSUIPC by itself can do that. In fact as far as I know it isn't possible to have electrics and avionics on in the C172 without the switches being on. You most definitely have something very odd going on there.

FSUIPC is passive. It just does what it is told. And I certainly wouldn't even know how to make it do what you are describing.

Pete

Now you have explained it a little more I think its more likely that you have a corrupt default saved flight that is somehow stopping the systems working properly. Try deleting the default flight by opening the fsx.cfg and deleting everything after the equals sign in the line that starts with "Situation="

Another potential (haha pun not intended, electricians will get it) thing to look for is a line in the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft you are having a problem with, look for a line that reads something like this, the wording may not be perfect but its close to this;

ElectricsAlwaysAvailable=1

Try changing the number to 0

I'm out of ideas if none of that works.

Thank you very much gentlemen. You were both on the money on this, and especially Andy. After deleting the default situation (which I do make with default a/c and airports), I restarted the sim, deleted the situation (wasn't the default anymore but was still in the sim as a situation) and re-made it, all is working perfectly now. Much appreciated and thank you for the help!

Glenn