The simFlight Network Forums

GETTING STARTED

Hi,

First I apologize to anyone who may take their time to read this.  This is such a "basic" problem that I'm sure it borders on wasting someone's time to read it, let alone respond to it, but if you do, thank you.

Over the years, I've tried to use both the "free" version and the purchased versions of FSUIPC (also purchased WIDEFS7 with FSUIPC4 - seemed like a good idea at the time since it had a bundled purchase price, but I have no idea what it's for...), but I've ALWAYS given up trying to use them because I just cannot get the downloaded zipped file extracted/unzipped.  This time around I really want to get it opened and operational so I can use it with FSFLYINGSCHOOL 2014, but, as before, I can't do it.  I always have a great deal of trouble even downloading the program (even though I purchased it in the past, I can no longer find that zipped file, so I just downloaded the "free" one this time).  Same problem, I can't get it extracted/unzipped.  So, can you please tell me how to do it so I can finally use it (actually, I really don't know what either of these programs are supposed to do or why I have to use them - seems if they are necessary for other programs, they should just be licensed to the other companies to build into their programs - so if you could enlighten me as to what they're for, I'd appreciate that, too).  And, if I can get it opened, does it have to be installed somewhere specific - I ask because a lot of programs default to the "C" drive, but I have FSX on it's own standalone drive and I'm guessing it might need to go there somewhere.

I hope my confusion makes sense and, again, I'm really sorry to have to ask.

Thank you.

Howard H. Harrison

Over the years, I've tried to use both the "free" version and the purchased versions of FSUIPC (also purchased WIDEFS7 with FSUIPC4 - seemed like a good idea at the time since it had a bundled purchase price, but I have no idea what it's for...), but I've ALWAYS given up trying to use them because I just cannot get the downloaded zipped file extracted/unzipped.  This time around I really want to get it opened and operational so I can use it with FSFLYINGSCHOOL 2014, but, as before, I can't do it.  I always have a great deal of trouble even downloading the program (even though I purchased it in the past, I can no longer find that zipped file, so I just downloaded the "free" one this time).

There are no separate "free" and "registered" versions, there is only ONE version of FSUIPC4 (for FSX and P3D) and one of FSUIPC3 (for FS9). The only thing which makes a difference is you registering it! I don't know how you think you are managing to download "different versions". All the links, wherever, point to the same files, hosted here in the Download Links subforum -- and that includes the links on the http://www.schiratti.com/dowson page and on the SimMarket purchase pages.

Same problem, I can't get it extracted/unzipped.  So, can you please tell me how to do it so I can finally use it

The ZIP format is the standard one supported by Windows and all other zipping and unzipping programs. Many thousands of users have successfully downloaded, unzipped and installed them. Have you never managed to unzip any downloaded files at all?

(actually, I really don't know what either of these programs are supposed to do or why I have to use them - seems if they are necessary for other programs, they should just be licensed to the other companies to build into their programs

WideFS is never necessary for any other programs, it is just a way of running FSUIPC-using applications on a Networked computer to reduce the load on the FS computer and make use of other PC's screens, keyboards etc.

Many programs which need FSUIPC to run do include a version of FSUIPC in their packaging and may automatically install it too. It is up to them. There has never been any restriction on such actions if third parties wish to take advantage of that. The only thing to be wary of then is that such bundled copies may well be out of date -- only the current version is supported.

does it have to be installed somewhere specific - I ask because a lot of programs default to the "C" drive, but I have FSX on it's own standalone drive and I'm guessing it might need to go there somewhere.

The FSUIPC installer installs it where it needs to go, inside your FSX installation, and does this automatically when you run it.

Pete

Hi,

Thank you for the information; I'll explore the links, etc. to see what I can come up with.  Long story, this time around, I purchased/registered both from the simMarket folks in December 2012.  I can normally find ways to get things to work, but this one has really put me out in left field for no apparent reason that I can see, and I'm feeling pretty stupid.  Anyway, yes, I unzip files frequently, that's why this one confounds me as I can't see any reason for it not to extract - oh well, I guess I'll try contacting the WinZip folks to see if they can offer a suggestion.  If that fails, I guess I'll just have to let it go.

Bottom line, I really appreciate you taking the time to communicate with me on this.

Thank you.

Howard

Anyway, yes, I unzip files frequently, that's why this one confounds me as I can't see any reason for it not to extract - oh well, I guess I'll try contacting the WinZip folks to see if they can offer a suggestion.

WinZip isn't needed in any case unless your version of Windows is pre-XP, as Windows Explorer provides zip/unzip facilities built in. You only need to double click on the ZIP file in Explorer.

If it says the ZIP is bad you either have a bad download, or your Virus Checker is detecting a false positive and refusing to let you access the contents.

Pete