The simFlight Network Forums

TrafficLook & AI Times

I've only recently realised how useful TrafficLook can be.

It would be even more useful if:

1. I could understand what the information in all the columns meant (the help file omits most of them)

2. The display could indicate scheduled times for take-off (Ground) and landing (Airbourne). Is this possible?

I opologise if these subjects have been raised before. I tried 'Search' but couldn't find anything.

David H

I could understand what the information in all the columns meant (the help file omits most of them)

Sorry, they're all supposed to be self-explanatory. Which ones are a puzzle?

The display could indicate scheduled times for take-off (Ground) and landing (Airbourne). Is this possible?

TrafficLook is only showing the data FSUIPC is providing, it isn't examning any traffic files as such. I did TRY to find the ETD and ETA -- and in fact I got close, but the code is very convoluted and it would have involved going through two additional FS modules in assembly code to work out how to decipher what I could find. It took many hours of hacking just to get the airport and runway data.

I think what you want may be better served by TrafficBoard, which uses both FSUIPC data on traffic and decoded traffic schedules. There's a separate Forum near here about that.

Regards,

Pete

I could understand what the information in all the columns meant (the help file omits most of them)

>>Sorry, they're all supposed to be self-explanatory. Which ones are a puzzle?<<

Only the 'Ref' column.

The display could indicate scheduled times for take-off (Ground) and landing (Airbourne). Is this possible?

>>TrafficLook is only showing the data FSUIPC is providing, it isn't examning any traffic files as such. I did TRY to find the ETD and ETA -- and in fact I got close, but the code is very convoluted and it would have involved going through two additional FS modules in assembly code to work out how to decipher what I could find. It took many hours of hacking just to get the airport and runway data.<<

I thought that might be the problem, otherwise you would probably have included them!

I think what you want may be better served by TrafficBoard, which uses both FSUIPC data on traffic and decoded traffic schedules. There's a separate Forum near here about that.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for introducing me to TrafficBoard, which I've not heard of before now. I've downloaded both the FS2002 and Beta FS2004 versions, and they seem to be just what I was looking for.

I've recently become interested in AI traffic, which brings FS to life. I've installed lots of ProjectAI traffic in FS2004, and the shareware Ultimate Traffic (which is registered with FSUIPC) in FS2002.

I've been finding that TrafficLook has been showing some flights approaching and landing, but they don't actually show in FS. I've been trying to find out which flights they were, but TrafficLook doesn't make it easy to search the relevant FlightPlans file to get more information.

Maybe TrafficBoard will give me more info to go on. It seems to be quite a complex program, and I will probably take some time to find out what it is capable of.

Regards,

David H

Only the 'Ref' column.

"Ref" is short for "Reference" and is the unique number for that aircraft inside FS. It's presented by FSUIPC for reference by programs accessing the data. Only by this reference can changes in the list be determined, as the slots available get re-used as aircraft come into and go out of range.

I've been finding that TrafficLook has been showing some flights approaching and landing, but they don't actually show in FS.

Really? I've never seen that. you can scroll through all the visible traffic in a separate window in FS using CTRL+W.

TrafficLook doesn't make it easy to search the relevant FlightPlans file to get more information.

That's because TrafficLook knows nothing about flight plans. TrafficBoard does that, though.

Regards,

Pete

I've been finding that TrafficLook has been showing some flights approaching and landing, but they don't actually show in FS.

I think I've found the reason for this; the aircraft.cfg was referencing the wrong .AIR file so the aircraft wasn't showing.

Really? I've never seen that. you can scroll through all the visible traffic in a separate window in FS using CTRL+W.

You've answered another issue which has puzzled me, i.e. what CTRL+W was showing. Thanks!

Regards

David H

I think I've found the reason for this; the aircraft.cfg was referencing the wrong .AIR file so the aircraft wasn't showing.

Hmmm. It's interesting that the system generates the traffic even if it can't produce an image for it! Very strange.

Regards,

Pete

I'm only guessing. If I can find time I'll check it out.

My logic is that the aircraft is placed in the aircraft.txt file with an AC#(number) and a description taken from 'Title' in the aircraft.cfg file. But if the [fltsim.xx] has the wrong .AIR file ref (if you see what I mean) the flight will be generated, but without a visible aircraft.

I did find some wrong .AIR files on my system. When I had corrected them all the aircraft did actually appear on the ground, so I presume they must have been missing in the air as well before I corrected them.

David H