The simFlight Network Forums

Determining active rwy

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool to determine the active rwy(s) of a given airport other the one I'm currently on without moving the aircraft. There seems to be nothing out there so I'm thinking about writing such a tool. But I'm unsure whether it's possible with the abilities of FSUIPC. There are two problems:

1) Can I access the neccessary ATC information via FSUIPC? Maybe there is a data block containing the current ATIS data?

2) How can I obtain these data for an airport at a different location?

Thanks anf greetings from Germany,

Tom.

I'm looking for a tool to determine the active rwy(s) of a given airport other the one I'm currently on without moving the aircraft. There seems to be nothing out there so I'm thinking about writing such a tool. But I'm unsure whether it's possible with the abilities of FSUIPC. There are two problems:

1) Can I access the neccessary ATC information via FSUIPC? Maybe there is a data block containing the current ATIS data?

2) How can I obtain these data for an airport at a different location?

By sheer coincidence there are facilities to help in this in the new version of FSUIPC, 3.135, being released today. The details of how to do this will be in a revised edition of the FSUIPC SDK which should also be released today (I am just putting this together now). WeatherSet2 can demonstrate it in action.

I have only achieved this be checking the runways allocated to AI traffic -- the ones as currently displayed by TrafficLook. If there is no AI traffic currently assigned a runway at your chosen airport, then I cannot determine the ones which will be allocated. Furthermore, AI traffic is only generated within a range of about 80-85 nm from your own aircraft, so you cannot get data from further afield.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

thank you for your quick response.

I will take a look into the revised SDK. My basic intension is the following: If programming a FMC (e. g. PMDG737) you have to enter a rwy where you intend to arrive. Until now I checked the METAR at the destination and guessed the active rwy. But there is always a big chance to guess wrong, even if there are no changes in weather conditions while flying, because I don't know the rules how MS determines the active. So I would need this information for airports beyond the AI range. If I understood you correctly, that will not be possible?

Regards, Tom.

I will take a look into the revised SDK. My basic intension is the following: If programming a FMC (e. g. PMDG737) you have to enter a rwy where you intend to arrive.

This is not actually a realistic action, and you certainly shouldn't be forced to enter that data. I think the normal practice is to leave a discontinuity after the initial approach fix for the general direction of your approach. You fill in the STAR and arrival runway later, usually on instruction from ATC. In cases of radar vectors to approach, which is more often the case at main airports, you'd only insert the runway when assigned.

So I would need this information for airports beyond the AI range. If I understood you correctly, that will not be possible?

No way I know. ATC isn't even active at airports out of range, as nothing is happening there until they are in range. FS doesn't really want to be simulating the whole world all the time, only the bits that matter. The best you can do is guess from the forecast weather, which may of course change by the time you get there.

Regards,

Pete