The simFlight Network Forums

Number of programs to run in WideClient.ini

Dear Pete,

I use WideServer and WideClient in order to take of as much load as possible from my main flight sim computer, as well as being able to put those programs on separate monitor.

It appears that the entry for auto starting programs; Run1=, Run2=, Run3=, actually is limited to 3 programs, is this correct?

As it is now I just added the fourth program, here is an excerpt of my wideclient.ini:

Run1=D:\FS2004\fsmeteo\fs_meteo.exe
Run2=D:\FS2004\FS Real Time\FSRealTime.exe
Run3=D:\FS2004\Classic S-Combo\Classic_S-Combo.exe
Run4=D:\FS2004\ShowText\ShowText.exe
Close1=Yes
Close2=Yes
Close3=Yes
Close4=Yes

I have tried to switch positions of the program, and they are all launchable, however no more than three of them!

On a sidenote, it appears that Classic S-Combo makes WideClient.exe to work at almost 100% cpu, or at least never below 70% cpu utilization.

Is this really necessary? I understand if it might be the S-Combo program that is way too "talky" with FS2004 on my second computer, but should this really put so much load on the cpu?

I have a Pentium 4 1.8 ghz on the computer running WideClient.exe

thanks in advance, and thanks a lot for the wonderful products you have given us!

It appears that the entry for auto starting programs; Run1=, Run2=, Run3=, actually is limited to 3 programs, is this correct?

Yes, as documented. However you can launch 6 altogether, as the other three (RunReady1 - 3) are independent. The only different with the RunReady entries is that the launch doesn't occur until there is a connection to FS.

On a sidenote, it appears that Classic S-Combo makes WideClient.exe to work at almost 100% cpu, or at least never below 70% cpu utilization. Is this really necessary?

I've no idea, you'll need to ask the author. You can make WideClient "sleep" more by use of some of the parameters in the INI. The Timeout one I think might be instrumental -- this is what it says in the WideFS documentation:

Timeout=12: Network response timeout, in millisecs. Timeout applies to every request made by your client applications. Since the Server is sending updates for requested data in any case, this timeout is only useful for limiting the processor time used by the application, to stop it hogging the client PC when there are other programs to run.

Many FS6IPC/FSUIPC client applications are reasonably well behaved, however, and do timeshare well enough, so this timeout can be set quite low, even down to 0. But be careful. With some applications, if there is not a delay before returning to the application from each of its data requests, then the loop can be too tight and there may be some real difficulties in accessing other facilities on that PC, moving and sizing windows, and so on.

Is this what is happening? You cannot use the mouse or access anything else? If so, then certainly it needs attending to. However, bear in mind that this parameter will apply to ALL applications, not merely S-Combo.

On the other hand, if there is no adverse effect of 100% utilisation then what is worrying you? Many programs do soak up all the idle time without any dire consequences -- FS is itself one of them of course.

I understand if it might be the S-Combo program that is way too "talky" with FS2004 on my second computer, but should this really put so much load on the cpu?

Is it truly a "load" or is it just soaking up the otherwise unused time. If there are no adverse effects, don't worry.

Regards,

Pete