The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.14 Virus

I just unzipped FSUIPC Vesion 3.14 but my antivirus program reported that the following virus was found:- Win32:Gaobot-16

Is this a hoax or is there a problem?

I will continue to use the previous verion for now.

The virus checker you are using is mistaken. I use Norton Antivirus and it is kept scrupulously up to date, and it is evidently more thorogh in its checking than the one you are using.

FSUIPC is compressed and expanded automatically only when actually running inside FS. Consequently very little of it in the file is actually code. It sounds like your virus checker is mistaking a compressed string of data for code which matches or partly matches its image of a virus.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I am using Avast! 4 Home Edition with the latest virus definition update (19 Jan 04).

The virus reported should read:

Win32:Gaobot-61 and is a worm.

I have submitted a virus report to ALWIL at avast.com and will see what they have to say.

As you say, this is most likely a false alarm.

I am using Avast! 4 Home Edition with the latest virus definition update (19 Jan 04).

That makes sense. The only other report I have (sent provately) was also from an AVAST user. Odd, I've never even heard of AVAST before today. :)

I have submitted a virus report to ALWIL at avast.com and will see what they have to say.

Thanks. You sent them the DLL too? As I said, the file is compressed and very little of it represents executable code as it stands. Virus checkers don't check data files because it is known that random items of data can resemble virus code. Because a DLL is presumed to be an executable it will be checked as if it is all code, which in this case isn't true.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

AWIL the makers of the Avast! 4 antivirus program suggested that I scan FSUIPC.dll (Version 3.14) at Trend Micro using their "Housecall" online virus scanning tool at http://housecall.trendmicro.com.

I did this and am pleased to report that NO virus was found!

Perhaps this posting should be re-titled as -

"FSUIPC 3.14 Virus FALSE ALARM"

Avast! continues to sound an alarm for FSUIPC.dll 3.14 so I have reverted to FSUIPC 3.135 which causes no virus alerts.

Many thanks

AWIL the makers of the Avast! 4 antivirus program suggested that I scan FSUIPC.dll (Version 3.14) at Trend Micro using their "Housecall" online virus scanning tool at http://housecall.trendmicro.com.

I did this and am pleased to report that NO virus was found!

Hmmm. So the one they supply for home use is not so good, really? I use a fully and regularly updated Norton AV and that says it's okay too! :)

Thanks, & Regards,

Pete