The simFlight Network Forums

Wait a connection, wait a client...

PC crashed last week and I have been installing everything back from scratch. Big job! So I lost all datas from previous network installation.

Today I have the 2 PC networked again. I can retreive datas in both directions. Already one thing working :D . But concerning WideFs, no signals :cry: !

On computer CDU(name) Win 98SE and ID 192.168.0.2, I have installed wideclient with its own folder within C:\

In the ini file, I have indicated the server name(FS2002 the name of the other PC and the ID 192.168.0.1)

All the folders from Project Magenta are fully sharing inclusive WideClient.

In all the PM folders(ini files) I have indicated the server name and ID as well.

On computer FS2002 with Win XP Pro, I have FS2002 and FS9. In both programs I have installed and registered FSUIPC(latest) and WideFS(updated). The respective files(wideserver.dll and wideserver.ini) are in the Module folders as well as FSUIPC. Both FS programs are fully shared.

For both PC I have chosen PM as workgroup.

When I launch FS and wideFs on the other PC, I have the text "wait for a connection and wait for a client". But still, the 2 PC are networked for sure.

The connection works with IPX/SPX since with TCP/IP it would not connect anymore as in December, God knows why?

In a message on the 15 of December, it was working. What could I make wrong? Thanks for your kind attention.

Jean Paul Reuland

On computer CDU(name) Win 98SE ...

I have indicated the server name ...

On computer FS2002 with Win XP Pro

I have the text "wait for a connection and wait for a client".

The connection works with IPX/SPX since with TCP/IP it would not connect anymore as in December, God knows why?

As always, the answers are probably in the Log files which I assume you've not looked at? Please always check the logs for error messages.

Points to note:

1. IPX/SPX is really a problem when using a mixed netwrok of Win98 and WinXP PCs. I could never get it working properly here.

2. If you are using IPX/SPX then the ServerName is no good -- WideClient need the full node Address when the Server is an NT/Win2K or WinXP PC. Please check the WideFS.DOC supplied in the WideFS package.

3. Since WideFS version 5.50, the default protocol is TCP/IP. If you haven't set "UseTCPIP=No" in both Server and Client INIs it will try to use TCP/IP in any case.

4. You need ALWAYS to specify version numbers in any queries. Just saying "updated" is meaningless to me.

Regards,

Pete

Good morning,

Thanks for your attention. I am not in front of the sick PC right now but I will check all this later today.

As always, the answers are probably in the Log files which I assume you've not looked at? Please always check the logs for error messages.

Points to note:

1. IPX/SPX is really a problem when using a mixed netwrok of Win98 and WinXP PCs. I could never get it working properly here.

2. If you are using IPX/SPX then the ServerName is no good -- WideClient need the full node Address when the Server is an NT/Win2K or WinXP PC. Please check the WideFS.DOC supplied in the WideFS package.

3. Since WideFS version 5.50, the default protocol is TCP/IP. If you haven't set "UseTCPIP=No" in both Server and Client INIs it will try to use TCP/IP in any case.

4. You need ALWAYS to specify version numbers in any queries. Just saying "updated" is meaningless to me.

Regards,

I checked the log files but I do not understand much about this. It is not really my cup of tea! But I will paste them later today.

1)IPX/SPX is indeed a problem. I do not understand how I had it functioning in December. If I can communicate in both directions with IPX/SPX does it means it could not work for FS and WideFs?

2) In fact I indicated both server name and full node just in case. But no results.

3) Sorry to say but this was also done. No to TCP/IP. I did some reading although :wink: and also went through the Project Magenta readme files. I mentionned it was working fine before this horrible crash.

4) You are right here too. What I mean is that I have installed all the very latest files that you have released so far.:-)

I spent 12 hours yesterday to try to install this wonderful program. I will probably have to spend more time today!:-(

No flyings for the time being!

Regards

Jean Paul

If I can communicate in both directions with IPX/SPX does it means it could not work for FS and WideFs?

I don't know. I never got it working satisfactorily (i.e. consistently) for anything on a mixed network. Anyway, TCP/IP is easier and is better with WinXP I'm sure.

In fact I indicated both server name and full node just in case. But no results.

You didn't mention the Server Node, only the TCP/IP address which of course isn't used in IPX/SPX.

You are right here too. What I mean is that I have installed all the very latest files that you have released so far.:-)

But that is still meaningless to me -- folks tend to mean "the latest I have seen you release", and I have had cases where what they thought were "latest" were pretty old. In all cases I always need to know the version numbers. They are easy enough to find -- either look in the Logs or right-click on the programs/modules and check Properties-Version.

I spent 12 hours yesterday to try to install this wonderful program. I will probably have to spend more time today!:-(

Well, I think you might have saved a lot of that time by posting some real information -- INI files and Log extracts. So far all I know is that it doesn't connect. Before posting anything it might be a good idea to change back to TCP/IP, or installing Win98SE instead of WinXP on your Server.

Also check on your WinXP system that you don't have the firewall preventing access.

Regards,

Pete

Good evening Peter,

I am back trying to set this network.

The 2 PC are communicating but not with TCP/IP because I simply can not do it. I tried enough and with TCP/IP the are disconnected.

So here are the 2 log files I get when I attempt to join FS2002 with Project Magenta.

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.101] *********

Using blocksize guide of 4096 bytes

Date (dmy): 21/01/04, Time 20:11:12.354: Server name is FS2002

50203 Initialising server socket now

81907 Restarting service due to total lack of use

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.101] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 21/01/04, Time 20:12:36.390: Client name is CDU

31 Attempting to connect now

45045 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

45207 Ready to try connection again

45210 Attempting to connect now

I am sure you can help with this.

Thanks

regards

Jean Paul

Good evening Peter,

I am back trying to set this network.

The 2 PC are communicating but not with TCP/IP because I simply can not do it. I tried enough and with TCP/IP the are disconnected.

I still think TCP/IP is your best bet. I had nothing but trouble with IPX/SPX on a Network with a WinXP sever and Win98 clients. I think you will do too.

What is wrong with your TCP/IP? It should be good, and it is even installed by default (which IPX/SPX is not on WinXP).

Your logs don't tell me anything I'm afraid. Where are the INI files?

There's no connection at all being made to the Server, it is simply not seeing any attempt at all. And I've NEVER seen this error (reported by Windows):

45045 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

It seems that the Windows 98 software is trying to connect and simply giving up after 45 seconds. I've no idea what can cause that I'm afraid. If I were in that situation I'd probably uninstall both Network cards, then re-install them and their drivers.

If you really want to use IPX/SPX, do not also have TCP/IP installed. Things seem to work better with only one protocol on each Network card. However, even that didn't work for me on a mixed network. It was good on a completely Win98SE setup.

Pete

:D :D :D :idea:

IT WORKS!

With TCP/IP!!! :oops:

Peter thanks for keeping me searching. What happened I think is that I was trying to network 2 PC as 2 servers and 2 clients. It works for datas etc but not for FS and WideFS.

In this case one PC is a SERVER and the other one is a CLIENT. Right?

Only the client retrieves datas from the server. But it does not work the other way round with TCP/IP enabled. At least it is my conclusion concerning XP and win98SE.

Thanks again and good night. +7 here!

Jean Paul Reuland

:D :D :D :idea:

IT WORKS!

With TCP/IP!!! :oops:

Good. Well done!

What happened I think is that I was trying to network 2 PC as 2 servers and 2 clients. It works for datas etc but not for FS and WideFS.

In this case one PC is a SERVER and the other one is a CLIENT. Right?

Only the client retrieves datas from the server. But it does not work the other way round with TCP/IP enabled. At least it is my conclusion concerning XP and win98SE.

Hmmm. I really don't know what you are talking about. With WideFS the "Server" is where FS is running, with "WideServer.DLL" installed. That's why WideServer is called WideServer.

The Clients are all the PCs not running FS on which you want to run WideClient and FS applications. That's why Wideclient is called WideClient.

The Server sits waiting for any Clients to connect who want to talk to FS and/or get data from it. The exchange of data is two way, but it is the Clients who request a service of the Server. Clients can come and go. The server stays open and ready for as long as FS is running. Think of it like a shop with a counter and a shop asistant (server) with customers (clients).

I really can't see how you can have mixed up "WideClient" as being a Serving program and "WideServer" as being a Client program -- after all the names say it all, don't they?

And it makes absolutely no difference to any of that what protocol is used. The protocol is merely the carrier of the data, in BOTH directions.

Regards,

Pete