The simFlight Network Forums

Can't set FF2 up. Irregular controls.

I use a Force feed back 2 Joystick, and I get failures and sluggishness from time to time on aileron, rudder and elevators.

On external view I have noticed that the control surface that has become sluggish is hardly moving.

I can be flying okay....constant speed and altitude....then I'll loose a control surface response...or all of them. It doesn't go completely...there is a very slight hint of movement and response.

If I change aircraft I get it back....sometimes. It just happens when ever it feels like it.

One time it failed I went direct to calibration (Flight sims one) and saw that my stick was operating ok....but back at the sim....no good.

I tried to set up on fsuipc and get 16863 on max to one side...and 10000 on max to the other....although in the boxes under the reset icon it quite clearly shows I have 16863 in all axis.

Also, when I try to click 'set' when holding my stick over, it just 'BINGS' and doesn't allow a change to be inputted.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I use a Force feed back 2 Joystick, and I get failures and sluggishness from time to time on aileron, rudder and elevators....

I don't think anything you can do in FSUIPC will turn a sluggish joystick into a fast one. Is it the same with force feedback disabled, wherever you can do that?

Check the FS sensitivities -- Options-Controls-Sensitivities. Set them higher.

I tried to set up on fsuipc and get 16863 on max to one side...and 10000 on max to the other....although in the boxes under the reset icon it quite clearly shows I have 16863 in all axis.

If all axes all read 16383 for output all the time then they won't be at all usable. In that case you have set them up wrong in FSUIPC. Press the button marked "Reset" for each axis so that FSUIPC doesn't do anything, then try them in FS.

If you want to use FSUIPC to set more precise end zones and centering, please follow the instructions very carefully, step by step.

Also, when I try to click 'set' when holding my stick over, it just 'BINGS' and doesn't allow a change to be inputted.

The "bing" noise indicates as impossible setting you are trying to make. The calibrated numbers to the right of the INPUT and OUTPUT values need to go from lowest (most negative in this case) on the left, to most positive on the right. The two centre ones must be in between. FSUIPC won't allow you to set any other order. The gap between the two centre values controls how much central null zone you have, for a good centre.

Regards,

Pete

When I say sluggish, I mean to say that, for example:

I fly the Tigermoth happly.....then suddenly find the controls are not responding fully.....infact there is only a very very slight response.

Sometimes this just affects one control axis, sometimes all of them. The stick itself tests fine in calibration and outside of fsp.

As for fsuipc -

In the boxes under set/reset I get the full 16863 or whatever minus to positive movement, yet it will only record 10000 in the right hand aileron box.

If I disable (reset) the controls still do not correct the problem.

I'll keep trying though.

Cheers.

I fly the Tigermoth happly.....then suddenly find the controls are not responding fully.....infact there is only a very very slight response.

So it's okay one minute, unresponsive the next?

Sounds like a problem either with the joystick itself or its driver, or some interference with the Force Feedback. I think you need to go through a process of elimination to see what it might be. Have you another, maybe simpler, joystick to try? Can you try without the FF?

I'm not really an expert in joystick berhaviour I'm afraid. If no one else jumps in here you may need to find a more hardware-oriented forum.

In the boxes under set/reset I get the full 16863 or whatever minus to positive movement, yet it will only record 10000 in the right hand aileron box.

In other words the actual INPUT range goes from -16000 or something up to +10000, no further? That sounds like it isn't calibrated very well in Windows to start with. You should have roughly equal amounts either side of the nominal "centre" (0). -10000 to +10000 is kay. Even -100 to +100 is okay. But not -16000 to +10000. You'll get much coarser behaviour to one side compared to the other. See if you can recalibrate in Windows Game Controllers to get a more even result.

Regards,

Pete

Are you using both GamePort and USB joysticks (or other input devices)? Doing that will cause a problem, so unfortunatly you're forced to choose either USB or GamePort devices. Using an USB device that connects gameports is not an option, since the device will register as an actual gameport and hence not solving the problem. My vote would be for the USB sollution, if that is the case. If you only have one of them, I don't know what is wrong.

Aileron

SET/RESET Min set Max

- 16383 - 16383 -512 +10000

+ 16383 +512

I can get full range IF min is set at POSITIVE 16383 and max is set to NEGATIVE 16383.

All the controls move okay...the stick is USB and I only use USB.

and yet......it will randomly loose effectiveness (failures turned OFF).

I check fsuipc and it's still set....I check calibration...it's okay....I go back and un-pause the game......no control......back into settings and all is still okay.....

Want to see a grown man cry.... :(

Aileron

SET/RESET Min set Max

- 16383 - 16383 -512 +10000

+ 16383 +512

The axis certainly seems to be calibrated very lopsidedly in Windows. Re-calibrate there.

I can get full range IF min is set at POSITIVE 16383 and max is set to NEGATIVE 16383.

FSUIPC doesn't allow reversed axes -- you can reverse them in FS I think. In FSUIPC a negative number is ALWAYS less than a poitive one.

and yet......it will randomly loose effectiveness (failures turned OFF).

Have you yet tried with FF turned off? Otherwise I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else to try. Does it stay like that till you reload FS, or power the PC off/on, or what? When does it come back to normal?

Pete

Does it stay like that till you reload FS, or power the PC off/on, or what? When does it come back to normal?

Ah, I see from your original message that you said "If I change aircraft I get it back....sometimes".

That actually sounds suspiciously like ot might be something going on with the flight model. Does this happen with all aircraft? Can you look to see if you are actually getting full aileron and elevator movements (use spot view)?

Pete

In spot view this is what I get----

1.When all is OKay-

Surfaces neutral with zero input. Full surface movement on all surfaces.

2.When fsuipc is set up wrong on purpose -

Control surfaces no in neutral positions. Limited movement determined by how much I had set it in fsuipc.

3. When a problem occurs and it gets 'sluggish'-

Control surfaces move a very small amount - only really enough to actually see movement, but not really a great deal. maybe only a pixel or two movement - it is there - but only just.

It can happen with any aircraft - not just add ons or default ones.

I have loaded up my Gravis Exterminator game pad (Game port connection) to see if that works when the stick fails.

Control surfaces move a very small amount - only really enough to actually see movement, but not really a great deal. maybe only a pixel or two movement - it is there - but only just.

It can happen with any aircraft - not just add ons or default ones.

Okay, so it is definitely either your stick or its drivers. Try without FF, maybe that is interfering.

Regards,

Pete

Well........a couple of hours around Gorkha in Nepal, in a Pilatus Porter.....no problems....and the Porter is pretty hard going on the processor and graphics, so I thought that would help bring the error on.....

....nothing......wait and see again!

Cheers so far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know when your car won't start, but you're an engineer, no one asks if you actually tried turning the key in the ignition....

Well.....there are somethings in fs9 I never use, so don't know anything about. These things may be actual functions, and as such would not be considered as a problem for trouble shooting. Also, someone with a little knowledge (myself) would be expected to know what he was doing by some one with god like knowledge (Yourself). Due to this, the very simple 'take for granted' things can be over looked.

Since my last post - no problems....until one fateful flight....where the solution appeared.

I lost aileron and elevator on stick, game pad and keyboard. I saved to make sure I could get back to the field I carried out an emegency landing...tried EVERYTHING to get the controls working again....but this time they were totally dead....follow the link to find the result and solution. I admit to this as it may help other people who 'think' they have a problem.

As for FSUIPC and Peter Dowson - well - so good I put a link to the home page on my site.

Cheers Peter!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ravenblack/flight_log.htm