The simFlight Network Forums

PFC Yoke and uncommanded command response

Peter,

I'm using the PFC Jetliner Yoke and have programmed the left outer rocker to adjust trim (top rocker is trim down, bottom rocker is trim up). I have programmed the left inner rocker to toggle the overhead panel and throttle quad (top rocker is overhead, bottom rocker is throttle).

The trim rockers have a repeat of 20. The panel rockers are set to toggle - Press once to get the panel to display and press again to remove it.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I press the trim rocker I get an uncommanded request for a panel to display. That is, if I apply trim up I get the throttle quad panel or if I apply trim down I get the overhead panel to display. It is not consistent in behavior but does occurs very frequently.

I am using the pre-defined FS mappings for Trim Up, Trim Down, Panel 4 and Panel 5 (as opposed to explicitly setting keystrokes).

Is there some reason why when pressing the left rocker I get both a trim response and occasionally also get a panel to display?

Thanks.

-michael

I'm using the PFC Jetliner Yoke and have programmed the left outer rocker to adjust trim (top rocker is trim down, bottom rocker is trim up).

Is the yoke connected through a PFC digital control and into a COM port, or is this the direct Game Port version? If the former, then the default programming in my PFC.DLL for the left most rocker is electric trim already.

The trim rockers have a repeat of 20. The panel rockers are set to toggle - Press once to get the panel to display and press again to remove it.

Where is this so set? I'm a little confused here.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I press the trim rocker I get an uncommanded request for a panel to display. That is, if I apply trim up I get the throttle quad panel or if I apply trim down I get the overhead panel to display. It is not consistent in behavior but does occurs very frequently.

If this is via PFC.DLL please check the buttons in the Test page. If it is the Game Port version then I really have no idea I'm afraid -- it sounds like the buttons are programmed twice in FS. You aren't programming them in FSUIPC and FS are you? If you are programming them in FSUIPC you need to delete any programming for the same buttons in FS, and vice versa.

Regards,

Pete

Peter,

I am using the Pfc Jetliner Yoke with the digital throttle quad through the COM port interface.

I checked FSUIPC and there are no keys or buttons programmed.

I tried using the default configuration of the PFC driver for yoke buttons but the electric trim preset must only work with PFC console h/w - it does nothing in my setup.

So - I reprogrammed the yoke so that the left:left rocker top is FS Trim Down; left:left rocker bottom is FS Trim Up.

The left:right rocker top is FS Panel 4 and the left:right rocker bottom is FS Panel 5.

I then went to the test screen and this is what happened ...

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

9B 0A CHcontrl = 0A JetLiner Yoke: Left: right rocker top

C0 TrimDown = Released

9B 0F CHcontrl = 0F JetLiner Yoke: Release

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

9B 0C CHcontrl = 0C JetLiner Yoke: Left: right rocker bottom

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

Notice that I got both a 9B 0C 9B 0F and a 9B 0A 9B 0F sequence just from pressing and releasing the left:left top rocker. At no time during the test did I depress the left:right rocker top/bottom.

Any ideas?

-michael

I tried using the default configuration of the PFC driver for yoke buttons but the electric trim preset must only work with PFC console h/w - it does nothing in my setup.

But that's not right. The trim is pre-programmed for all the yokes with the pairs of rockers on each side. When you say "it does nothing" perhaps you aren't noticing the subtle trim adjustments? By default it starts off with very slow adjustment, designed for very good accurate trimmimg. If you hold it down for more than a second (or whatever, adjustable) it speeds up. You can adjust the sensitivity in the Console options page. You can also change things in the INI file to reduce or eliminate the delay if you want it faster straight away.

I then went to the test screen and this is what happened ...

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

9B 0A CHcontrl = 0A JetLiner Yoke: Left: right rocker top

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

9B 0C CHcontrl = 0C JetLiner Yoke: Left: right rocker bottom

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

D0 TrimDown = Pressed

C0 TrimDown = Released

Notice that I got both a 9B 0C 9B 0F and a 9B 0A 9B 0F sequence just from pressing and releasing the left:left top rocker. At no time during the test did I depress the left:right rocker top/bottom.

Ahthat is wrong, indeed. The incorrect codes are doing the damage. It looks like there is some wiring problem, maybe a dry joint, maybe a problem in the little CH decoder board in the base. I'm afraid I can't fix that in software, you'll need to check with PFC.

But please also look at the default trim programming. You should find it more flexible once you've adjusted it to your liking. I don't know what version of PFC.DLL you are using, but I did increase the default trim sensitivity a while back. But try your own adjustments. In the PFC DLL documentation, look near the end for the Trim parameters there, and also play with the sensitivity in the on-line options (on the Consoles page). Mine is set to 64.

This won't fix the spurious codes arriving from your Yoke though. You need PFC's assistance there.

Regards,

Pete

But that's not right. The trim is pre-programmed for all the yokes with the pairs of rockers on each side. When you say "it does nothing" perhaps you aren't noticing the subtle trim adjustments? By default it starts off with very slow adjustment, designed for very good accurate trimmimg. If you hold it down for more than a second (or whatever, adjustable) it speeds up. You can adjust the sensitivity in the Console options page. You can also change things in the INI file to reduce or eliminate the delay if you want it faster straight away.

Hmmm, perhaps I did not pay sharp enough attention to the movement of the trim indicator on the panel. I will certainly try this again this evening.

Ahthat is wrong, indeed. The incorrect codes are doing the damage. It looks like there is some wiring problem, maybe a dry joint, maybe a problem in the little CH decoder board in the base. I'm afraid I can't fix that in software, you'll need to check with PFC.

I have contacted PFC and am awaiting their response. Thanks for confirming that it is not a s/w issue.

-michael

Hmmm, perhaps I did not pay sharp enough attention to the movement of the trim indicator on the panel. I will certainly try this again this evening.

The default trim indicators aren't very sensitive -- there are many tiny steps between full down and full up and the default indicators show only a few, so it won't move for small changes. I use Project Megenta which has a numeric display going from -32 to +32 which is better, but still a little coarse. But anyway, as I said, you can adjust the sensitivity of the built-in facility to suit yourself.

Regards,

Pete

It seems that this is yet another PIC anomoly. With electric trim programmed in my yoke there is no response to trim adjustments when using the PIC panel.

Is this the Wilco 767 PIC? If so it certainly used to work -- I programmed quite a lot into the PFC DLL for that aircraft. But that was way back, version 1.2/1.3 I think. Perhaps it's changed. I don't touch it any more. The programmers were very uncooperative, even hostile, so I uninstalled it all and stopped developing for it.

Regards,

Pete

Is this the Wilco 767 PIC? If so it certainly used to work -- I programmed quite a lot into the PFC DLL for that aircraft. But that was way back, version 1.2/1.3 I think. Perhaps it's changed. I don't touch it any more. The programmers were very uncooperative, even hostile, so I uninstalled it all and stopped developing for it.

Yes, 767PIC. Also I'm flying it in FS9 so - who knows! ;-)

I for one do appreciate all you've done to make this aircraft and h/w such as the PFC stuff work as well as it does!

Tomorrow is my birthday and I've taken the day off to sit back and enjoy the things I enjoy doing! I will play around with it some more as I hope that I'm missing something in a setting somewhere.

Have a great vacation!

-michael