The simFlight Network Forums

Questions about battery/load/voltage

Hi Pete,

I am playing around with some offsets of the elelctrical system.

1) I found that the batter y voltage stays always at 24 (Volts ?)- it doesn't matter how long the engines or generators are switched off.

2) The batter y load seems to be -7 after seconds of switching the generators off and increases very fast to -2.xxxxE-100 or something about -0 within seconds after generators are on.

3) What is the difference between battery voltage, main bus voltage, battery bus voltage and hot battery bus voltage

Can you help me ?

Greetings Nicolas

1) I found that the battery voltage stays always at 24 (Volts ?)- it doesn't matter how long the engines or generators are switched off.

Are you enabling the FSUIPC magic battery facility? This is what it does, basically -- keeps topping up the battery at a rate depending on the parameter you set.

2) The battery load seems to be -7 after seconds of switching the generators off and increases very fast to -2.xxxxE-100 or something about -0 within seconds after generators are on.

Hmmm "increases"? Decreases you mean? -- the value -2.xxxE-100 is EXTREMELY close to zero whilst -7 is a big drain on the battery, isn't it? I would expect +n to represent charging and -n to be draining, as on ammeter indications for batteries in cars.

I would also expect the load on the battery to approach zero when the generators are supplying instead, wouldn't you? Maybe it would go positive (charge) if you switched all the instrumentation off?

3) What is the difference between battery voltage, main bus voltage, battery bus voltage and hot battery bus voltage

I assume they are values measured in different places, but where and what they might be used for I'm afraid I've no idea. If and when you find out, please let me know and I'll maybe add some notes in the Programmer's Guide. However, most (all?) of that stuff is in the second table which I'm not sure is even supported/supportable really.

Can you help me ?

Sorry.

If I knew about all that stuff AND thought it was reliable and working, I'd document it better and maybe even move it to the first table where it would be supported. But so far either no one has investigated it, or if they have they've not told me.

Regards,

Pete