The simFlight Network Forums

Is it possible to set aircraft location in a gauge?

Hi,

I am currently writing a gauge that can control the user aircraft location like latitude, longitude and altitude. And I want the aircraft position to be set on every frame.

1. I was wondeing if it is possible to set these variables in a gauge file without the use of FSU? If yes, how?

2. If I was to do the same using FSU, would this cause a considerable performance loss? Would it be possible at all to set a variable through FSU on each frame?

Regards,

Arnt Helge Haaland

1. I was wondeing if it is possible to set these variables in a gauge file without the use of FSU? If yes, how?

FSU? Short for FSUIPC?

You need the official Microsoft panels SDK. It will tell you all you need to know about officialy supported variables and key events.

2. If I was to do the same using FSU, would this cause a considerable performance loss? Would it be possible at all to set a variable through FSU on each frame?

I'm not sure how you would synchronise to frames. FSUIPC does it via some Chain calls from FS. But using the module users interface to FSUIPC is very fast, that isn't a problem.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I used the function available in FSUIPC to set the user-aircraft location and it worked very well. The FSUIPC interface was much quicker than I expected and the user-aircraft follows the AI aircraft flewless. :D

I am using this function for a trafficboard GAU that I am programming and I got one question. Do you think it would be possible in the future to read out the departure/arrival times for the AI aircrafts (in FS2004)?

Regards,

Arnt Helge Haaland

EDIT:

I found an old thread answering my question!

Do you think it would be possible in the future to read out the departure/arrival times for the AI aircrafts (in FS2004)?

Sorry, I really don't think so -- too many hours spent already trying to work that out. Maybe Microsoft will make these things a little more accessible in future versions.

Regards,

Pete