The simFlight Network Forums

Multiple instances of FSUIPC?

Hi All

The newest version of WideView from Luciano has a weather syncronization feature that requires FSUIPC to be installed and registered on both the master and the clients. I have two questions:

1. Does this reguire that I purchase a key for each client or can I use the one I already have?

2. How does my WideFS clients know which computer to send and receive data from when all clients have FSUIPC running also?

Regards

Peter Skotte

1. Does this reguire that I purchase a key for each client or can I use the one I already have?

Pete's attitude has consistently been that your key is for you, not your computer, and you can use your FSUIPC key on as many computers as you have, provided that it is for your own use (ie installing on a friend's computer is not covered!). I should think they'll be 'official' confirmation soon :)

2. How does my WideFS clients know which computer to send and receive data from when all clients have FSUIPC running also?

I haven't checked, but I don't think you can run WideClient on a computer while FS is running. (FSUIPC would then get confused which to connect to.) You shouldn't need to, because any application on that computer can connect to FSUIPC directly. On any non-FS computer, WideClient connects to whichever computer you specify in the WideClient.ini file.

Your purchase of FSUIPC covers your use of FSUIPC as much and as often as you like. It is sold to you, for your use, not to a specific computer for its use. I am not a fan of the system tying a product to a PC, which is why the Registration ties it to you instead. (But, as Jamie kindly points out, not to your friends! :wink: ).

So, just install it and register it on the other PC using the same details as for the first one.

It is WideServer which handles the Clients, not FSUIPC directly. And you can't have both WideClient and FS running on the same PC. On a client PC you either have WidevieW and FS running, or you have WideClient and other applications running.

You can have WideServer installed in one or both FS installations. The WideClient PCs know which one to send and receive data from by the "ServerName" (or IP address) for TCP/IP, or "ServerNode" for IPX/SPX, which are parameters in the INI file. But if you do want two or more separate WideFS setups running, you should also change the Port numbers in one of them. Choose a number greater than the default -- the one's just under are used by WidevieW I think.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Jamie and Pete.

Actually now that you mention the servername I could have figured it out myself, had I just thought abit more about it, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

As for the licensing thats just great. Its nice that you dont have the per PC policy, Pete!

Thanks for quick and precise help.

Peter