The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient Error "Failed to start Client!"

Hi Peter, all,

I have just had to reinstall an LAN card in one of my clients. I can browse the other machines fine, but for some reason, I cannot get the WideClient to start now. I use Mcafees, and I remember it did mention something about updating the winsock (or something! :wink: ), but I cannot resolve this.

current build 6.221 on XP pro using TCP/IP with fixed IP

here is the log file;

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.221] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 17/04/04, Time 10:06:06.105: Client name is ND

80 Attempting to connect now

80 Client socket() failed [Error=10106]

2333 Failed to start Client!

2353 Reception maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

2353 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0

2353 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

hope this helps, many thanks

80 Client socket() failed [Error=10106]

2333 Failed to start Client!

hope this helps

Not much I'm afraid. Absolutely everything I know about Netwroks, and more added ffrom others, is included in the WideFS DOC. If you'vve been through all the ideas and possibilities there with no luck, then I'm afraid it's down to trial-and-error, or possibly help from a real Network expert (e.g. you could try Katy Pluta who hangs out in the FS2004 Forum).

The error message is the least helpful I've seen (WideClient is merely repeating what Windows/winsock is telling it). For all the more usual errors I include the words describing the error to, but I've never seen a 10106 before!

Looking it up in Microsoft help gives me this:

The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized. WSAEPROVIDERFAILEDINIT

In other words it looks like there is either a driver problem -- it isn't installed correctly, or it is plain wrong -- or just possibly you are asking for a protocol you didn't install (though usually I think this gives a different message).

As I've never seen this error before, the only thing I can suggest is uninstalling and re-installing the card and its drivers. Perhaps others may know more about this sort of thing.

Regards,

Pete

ok, I will reinstall the card from scratch. It's just so strange that I can browse the network and transfer files fine :?

Yes, but is that using the same facilities and protocols? I don't think that is the only test. Are you using TCP/IP in WideFS? If so it shouldn't be a problem, but there's a lot of magic in all this and I get lost in it. Hence the trials and errors :) I mentioned!

If reinstalling doesn't help and you've been through the DOCs, try Katy. She has helped me (Network-wise I hasten to add!) a few times.

Regards,

Pete

I uninstalled Mcafee's AV pro, and voila - it works again. I could not see anything on their support though, so not sure why it stopped working. As a test, I will put Mcafee's on again and see what happens.

Hmm. Very strange -- unless the AV activity is doing something on the Network too -- a firewall or some nosing into packets being received "in case" they are viral?

Whatever, if it is causing strange error returns from the Network software, it isn't right.

Regards,

Pete