The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout no op

Hello Mr Dowson.

I downloaded your GPSout program and am trying to use it with my laptop that has Jeppesens latest version of FlightStar (9.030) program on it but despite everything I have tried it just doesn't seem to want to work.

I am using my main PC for FS2004, it has no installed modem and is running Win XP Pro. I have activated Com 1 through the BIOS.

My lap is an HP and is using Com3 for its modem and has Com1 open and is running Win XP Home.

I have purchased a nullmodem cable and installed it to connect the two.

I have installed the module in the correct directory and read through all the info in the ini file and have tried every combination it suggests.

I am using the Com1,Garmin Protocal option on the Jep program but every time I click on the connection button it seems to try for about 5 seconds and just comes back saying, "Couldn't connect to GPS. Press here to try again. Can't get Garmin model/version info." Also I have tried every possible GPS brand option on the program's list but they all fail.

I believe I am not having a problem with the cable as to check it after I couldn't get it to work I did go through setting up a "Communications cable between two computers" Host/Guest modem connection using the Com1 connections and that works fine.

Also I have tried the "Simulated GPS" option in the Jep program and that works fine.

Any ideas?

I downloaded your GPSout program and am trying to use it with my laptop that has Jeppesens latest version of FlightStar (9.030) program on it but despite everything I have tried it just doesn't seem to want to work.

If it is the latest version, and installed into FS's Modules folder, there's nothing which will stop it sending sentences out to the selected COM port, assuming that is available. If it is an old version you need to install FSUIPC as well.

I am using my main PC for FS2004, it has no installed modem and is running Win XP Pro. I have activated Com 1 through the BIOS.

And did you edit the GPSout.ini to tell it this was the one to use? Did you plug the cable into COM1 and not another? Did you ensure that the speed is set the same in GPSout.ini and FliteStar?

My lap is an HP and is using Com3 for its modem and has Com1 open and is running Win XP Home.
I am using the Com1,Garmin Protocal option on the Jep program but every time I click on the connection button it seems to try for about 5 seconds and just comes back saying, "Couldn't connect to GPS. Press here to try again. Can't get Garmin model/version info." Also I have tried every possible GPS brand option on the program's list but they all fail.

Isn't there a Test option in the Connection menu, where you can see the data arriving, even if it isn't liked?

There's really very little to go wrong with GPSout, it just sits there sending stuff out. You just need to get the ports and speeds matched. If the sentences aren't those that FliteStar likes, that can be changed, but first you have to see sensible characters arriving in the "test" window.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete and thanks for such a quick reply, actually I think I found out what the problem is but first just too quickly answer your questions:

I’m using the latest version of GPSout and also I am using a latest/Reg version of FSUIPC.

I had set the ini file to use the Com1 port, connected the cables in the correct ports (only have one on both PCs anyway and their setup for Com1) and have matched all the speeds on everything.

Actually no there is no test option in FlightStar, and this is where I guess I failed to notice where the problem is.

I guess I should have paid a little more attention when you mentioned that the GPSout is used on "FlightMap w/Moving Map". As FlightStar and FlightMap often get lumped together in discussions, and then I saw a GPS Upload/Download menu on FlightStar I just assumed that this was for realtime GPS interaction when in actuality it is just that, a one time Upload/Download of GPS data such as waypoints, not for “realtime” moving map capability.

The reason I bought the program is that I am a student pilot and I’m just about to go for my final FAA check ride so I intend to use it for real flight planning but as you can imagine at this point too my brain is getting a little punchy so it was just a mistake on my part.

Anyway sorry for the trouble and thanks again for the reply.

Actually no there is no test option in FlightStar, and this is where I guess I failed to notice where the problem is.

... I saw a GPS Upload/Download menu on FlightStar I just assumed that this was for realtime GPS interaction when in actuality it is just that, a one time Upload/Download of GPS data such as waypoints, not for “realtime” moving map capability.

AhI did wonder when you were calling it "FliteStar" not "FliteMap", but since you clearly thought it had the moving map capability I naturally assumed you were simply using the FliteStar/Map naming interchangeably. After all, except for that feature, I think they are identical.

Anyway sorry for the trouble and thanks again for the reply.

No problem. Sorry it turned out not to be quite what you wanted, but at least we understand it now!

Regards,

Pete