The simFlight Network Forums

VSI damping

I'm using the value at offset 0x02C8 for a VSI indicator. Flying with this gauge is difficult, as the vertical speed value is 'true', i.e. not damped as in a real aircraft instrument, as was pointed out to me by an experienced pilot.

To fix this, I'm now applying a filter to this value. However, is the readout of the standard VSI gauge in the panel possible using FSUIPC ? Or is another offset available for it ?

Jeroen.

To fix this, I'm now applying a filter to this value. However, is the readout of the standard VSI gauge in the panel possible using FSUIPC ? Or is another offset available for it ?

As far as I know the VSI value is the VSI value which is the VSI value. It is used, for instance, in Project Magenta and seems to give admirable results, without any filtering that I know of, in cockpits using said software. Why would you think there's another?

Maybe you are looking for a non-instantaneous indicator (airliners use IVSI, as do many GA aircraft as far as I know). Maybe that, in those aircraft which have such a damped and delayed effect, are down to coding in the gauges themselves?

Having said that there is another value at 0842, but as far as I know (and I haven't tested this) it should agree with the 02C8 value when converted to the same units.

Of course, there are also the more technical values later (30A0, 3188, 31A0) and also, for FS2004 only, the GPS read-out at 6078 (I think).

Enough choices to consider, I think? :wink:

Regards,

Pete

Why would you think there's another?

Even the FS2004 default gauge doesn't seem to track 0x02C8 directly... Most noticeable when making a hard landing or strongly pulling up the nose: the needle always moves smoothly and rather slow.

Anyway, I'll have a look at 0x0842 tomorrow. Thanks for you suggestions and I'll keep you informed.

Jeroen.

• 2 years later...

Hello Pete

I have the same problem as Jeroen described. For a different reason I must manipulate the value the VSI shows, however without success.

Neither of the

0x02C8

0x0842

0x30A0

0x3188

0x31A0

has effect on {VERTICAL_SPEED} MODULE_VAR

Any idea where it could be stored ?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Oleksiy

I have the same problem as Jeroen described.

Problem? VSI too smooth?

For a different reason I must manipulate the value the VSI shows, however without success.

I think the VSI measures the vertical speed. To change what it measures needs a different instrument I think.

If you actually want to change the VS so the VSI reads differently, then you must get the aircraft to rise or sink faster. Try writing values to the Y velocities or accelerations.

FSUIPC does provide a facility to do this via the vertical wind component. It is used to simulate updraughts for gliding and so on. See offset 3478. You can use positive and negative values to make the aircraft rise and fall, so changing the VS.

Neither of the

0x02C8

0x0842

0x30A0

0x3188

0x31A0

has effect on {VERTICAL_SPEED} MODULE_VAR

Any idea where it could be stored ?

I think you misunderstand how simulation works. The current VS isn't "stored" but is computed based on the rate of change in altitude as the aircraft ascends or descends. All those values are computed, and therefore owerwitten, each simulation frame -- they are EFFECTS rather than CAUSES.

Regards,

Pete