The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG and GoFlight MCP

I just registered the current version of FSUIPC in hopes of getting my GF-MCP to work with my PMDG 737. I have read many of the forum responses on this topic but they all discuss bugs after key mapping. I am not even able to find "key mapping" in my FSUIPC module. Is there anyone with sympathetic patience that could take the time to respond with a step by step procedure to get GF-MCP to work with PMDG 737. I understand that the displays will not work, I just want to get the input controls to work and have no idea how to start. Any help will be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks

-Lane

I just registered the current version of FSUIPC in hopes of getting my GF-MCP to work with my PMDG 737. I have read many of the forum responses on this topic but they all discuss bugs after key mapping.

Folks who don't have problems don't tend to write, so mostly, when you visit places like this, of course, you read mainly about problems.

Always make sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC -- current is 3.22. There are no known outstanding problems at all with Key programming in this version.

I am not even able to find "key mapping" in my FSUIPC module.

Well, the term "mapping" in this context isn't mine. I always refer to it as key programming. And this has its own page in the FSUIPC options, called "Keys". There is a whole section in the FSUIPC User Guide about this page, and yet more (advanced) information in the Advanced User's Guide.

However, you are not wanting Key programming or even key mapping, as you are using a hardware module with buttons and knobs, aren't you? The Keys part of FSUIPC is for programming keys on your keyboard. You want the Buttons section, to let you program your buttons, switches and knobs. Again, this has its own options page, and sections in both User Guide and Advanced User guide.

I suggest that, before you start anything, you at least peruse the User Guide. Perhaps you should have done that before paying for a Registration, in case you decide it isn't for you after all? :wink:

Regards,

Pete

Griffin I suggest u take a look at the GOFLIGHT FORUM

heres a ling with some help for the PMDG and GF MCP (but needs Project magenta MCP)

http://www.goflightinc.com/cgi-bin/ik/i70;hl=pmdg

(copy the link if its broken)

U need to understand a bit how fsuipc works...as PETE says

I know that in the begining u ll not understand most of it...since thats what happened to me too...but ita takes time and effort and trying out things with the buttons and the appropriate commands...and see how the airplane reacts

From what I ve read arround (though I dont fly the PMDG) GF MCP

is NOT compatible with the PMDF unless u use the Project magenta MCP

look arround and ...study...

hope to ve helped

Dimitris Pantoleon

EHM615 Greece

Well, this is precisely the problem many of us are facing: correct information before buying!!! Where is it?

Although I did quite a bit of Forum browsing lately to understand whether or not FSUIPC would allow me to use my GF MCP with PMDG 737, I received all sorts of comments and affirmative statements and assurances from various quarters, to discover after registering my FSUIPC copy last week that in spite of following the instructions to the letter, I can't make it work either.

If the GF MCP does work thanks to FSUIPC with PMDG 737, then there ought to be on one of the three forum or the three of them (PMDG, GoFlight and/or FSUIPC) a clear set of instructions, this would be terribly useful and would remove the doubt from the mind of many potential buyers.

I am now a potential ...user, until I find the way to make it work!

Well, this is precisely the problem many of us are facing: correct information before buying!!! Where is it?

If the GF MCP does work thanks to FSUIPC with PMDG 737, then there ought to be on one of the three forum or the three of them (PMDG, GoFlight and/or FSUIPC) a clear set of instructions ...

I'm not sure why you would necessarily expect that. Certainly there is nothing in FSUIPC explicitly for the GF MCP. I've never even seen one, and there are no facilities in FSUIPC for managing any displays. All FSUIPC offers is the facility to program "joystick buttons". It has done this for many years -- this was extended to EPIC connected buttons, and more recently to GF connected buttons, even those on a separate networked PC (via WideFS).

By "buttons" here I mean any hardware which can be detected through some standard method as being "on" or "off" or possible changing between the two (as in the case on rotaries).

The FSUIPC facilities allow you to program these "buttons" to execute FS controls, additional FSUIPC controls, Project Magenta controls, or even manipulations of FSUIPC offsets. More relevantly, you can also program them to produce Key presses, as if you are pressing keys on the PC's keyboard (whilst FS has the focus).

As well as not even having a GF MCP, I also do not use the PMDG panel. At present I understand that the only way to control anything in the PMDG panel is to program keystrokes to do so. This is where FSUIPC's facilities may well come in useful, assuming that GoFlight themselves do not actually provide any facilities to map keystrokes onto their own switches. I thought that, in at least some cases, they did, but perhaps not in the case of the MCP? I do not know.

this would be terribly useful and would remove the doubt from the mind of many potential buyers.

Buyers of what? Goflight equipment or PMDG panels? Please do not purchase a registration for FSUIPC just to program GoFlight buttons to produce keypresses. Ask GoFlight to support PMDG or allow keypress programming, You'll get far better results, I am sure. After all, much of the MCP is wasted, isn't it, if the displays aren't valid?

Regards,

Pete