The simFlight Network Forums

FS9 won't start after deleting autosaved flights

Last night I deleted all the saved flights autosave created. I was done flying that flight.

Now FS9 will not start. It goes to the splash screen and freezes. The task manager says FS is not responding. I removed the FS9.cfg file and FS started but when I click on select a flight there are no flights to select and FS freezes.

Could this be happening because I deleted all the autosaved flight?

That was the only thing I did.

Thanks

Danny

I deleted all the saved flights autosave created. I was done flying that flight.

There should be no need to ever delete them. AutoSave itself overwrites them cyclically. By default it only keeps the last 10 flights, though you can change that in the INI file.

Now FS9 will not start. It goes to the splash screen and freezes. The task manager says FS is not responding. I removed the FS9.cfg file and FS started but when I click on select a flight there are no flights to select and FS freezes.

Could this be happening because I deleted all the autosaved flight?

That was the only thing I did.

It sounds like you deleted a lot more than the autosaved flights! Probably you had your FS set up to load into the "previous flight", which is not an AutoSaved flight, but one FS generates. If you generated that, and have never saved any other flights yourself, then the user flights section may be empty.

I doubt that you have no flights at all to select from, however. If the Flights dialogue there are many sections other than the user-saved ones. Choose one of those on loading.

Please don't bother deleting Autosaved flights in future, unless you are saving hundreds. You should only ever get as many as 10 unless you've changed the INI file.

Regards,

Pete

Pete thanks for the quick reply.

I won't delete the autosave flights again, trust me. Today I changed it to only save 5 flights.

I must have done something else, because there are no flights of any kind to choose from. The whole area where the flight names and descriptions are is blank.

Also if I open the pilots logbook with notepad(from the FS9.cfg ?? file not while in FS) and change something, when I try to save, it won't let me. It says it can not find the location of the logbook file.

Thanks for the help.

Danny

I must have done something else, because there are no flights of any kind to choose from. The whole area where the flight names and descriptions are is blank.

erthere are two "areas", as follows:

1. Choose a category

2. Choose a flight

Now, if you deleted all the flights in the location where AutoSave saves the flights (also where FS saves all user-saved flights), then the Area "2" would be blank when the Category selected is "My Saved flights".

But there still should be loads of other categories to choose from! for example, to select the original defalut, select the category "Other" (near the bottom of the list), then "Default flight".

If you really don't have any "Categories" listed, then it sounds like a whole part of the main FS installation has been lost or deleted! If that is the case I'd really recommend a complete re-install. You won't know what else is corrupted or destroyed otherwise.

Also if I open the pilots logbook with notepad(from the FS9.cfg ?? file not while in FS) and change something, when I try to save, it won't let me. It says it can not find the location of the logbook file.

Er .. that makes no sense. I really don't know what you mean by "from the FS9.cfg ??", but if you open a text file with Notepad, then obviously Notepad knows where it read it from, so when you save it, it knows where it goes. If this isn't the case it sounds like there is something fundamentally wrong with your actual PC system somewhere, but I couldn't possibly imagine where that could be. It makes no sense at all, sorry -- it seems completely unrelated to anything connected with FS.

Regards,

Pete

I found the problem. I deleted or moved the FS file from inside the Documents & Settings/User name/My documents floder.

All I did was replace it and everything is fine.

Pete, thanks for you help & keep up all the great work your doing.

Danny