The simFlight Network Forums

Reverser

I am trying to use #2 prop control for reverse with version 3.212 of FSUIPC. Below are the sections from the config and ini files. FSUIPC doesn't show the axis on the reverser page but it does on the prop one.

Where have I gone wrong ??

Are there any plans to have seperate axis for each reverser.

cheers

Dave

AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_THROTTLE2_SET

AXIS_SCALE_00=-64

AXIS_NULL_00=36

AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_THROTTLE1_SET

AXIS_SCALE_01=-64

AXIS_NULL_01=36

AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_SPOILER_SET

AXIS_SCALE_02=127

AXIS_NULL_02=1

AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_FLAPS_SET

AXIS_SCALE_03=9

AXIS_NULL_03=0

AXIS_EVENT_04=AXIS_PROPELLER2_SET

AXIS_SCALE_04=127

AXIS_NULL_04=1

[JoystickCalibration]

FlapsSetControl=0

ReverserControl=66424

MaxThrottleForReverser=0

AileronTrimControl=0

RudderTrimControl=0

Spoilers=-13225,15176

Throttle1=-16380,-6528,-4992,5544

Throttle2=-16380,-6528,-4480,5544

CowlFlaps1Control=0

CowlFlaps2Control=0

CowlFlaps3Control=0

CowlFlaps4Control=0

I am trying to use #2 prop control for reverse with version 3.212 of FSUIPC. Below are the sections from the config and ini files. FSUIPC doesn't show the axis on the reverser page but it does on the prop one.

ReverserControl=66424

Hey, good catch!

The AXIS_controls for separate engines were recent additions to FS (i.e. mean in FS2002 probably). When I first added joystick facilities the only one for Prop2 was "PROP_PITCH2_SET" (65924), so that's what FSUIPC actually processes on the 4-props page.

To save re-programming lots of things when the new AXIS commands were added, I simply converted all the new ones to the equivalent old ones.

Of course, my mistake, when adding the code to look for things like reverser assignments, was to place this code AFTER the conversion to old numbers, not before.

I will rectify this in the very next release of FSUIPC. In the mean time there are two possible work-arounds:

1. Declare the reverser axis in the FSUIPC.INI file as number 65924 instead of 66424. You don't have to also change the FS assignment to PROP_PITCH2_SET, but if you don't you will need to remember to change back to 66424 on the next version of FSUIPC (not 3.22 which is out at present).

or

2. If you aren't in need of the propeller axes in any case, simply go to the main single controls page and check the "map to 4 props" option. When the single Prop Pitch axis is mapped to the other 4 there is no conversion of the new codes to old in any case, so the problem doesn't arise.

Sorry about the hassle.

It's on my list, but as no one has actually asked for it until now it keeps getting pushed down. I'll get to it one day.

Regards,

Pete

It's on my list, but as no one has actually asked for it until now it keeps getting pushed down. I'll get to it one day.

I haven't still looked into that, but now that i know, then please try not to push it further back :P

Sorry, I don't understand this -- can you elaborate please?

Right now i'm figuring out a number of things to make working controls.

I still haven't dived in the flight controls themselves (yoke, rudder, throttles...) so i didn't know there weren't separate axis for reversers.

Now that i know, i join Kiwidave in his request.

That's all :P

BR

i didn't know there weren't separate axis for reversers.

Well, FS doesn't provide any separate axes for reverse at all. In fact it doesn't even provide reverse on the standard throttle axis, only only the separate engine throttles.

Now that i know, i join Kiwidave in his request.

Currently you can get separate reversers basically by reserving a zone on each of the separate throttles. You calibrate the axis to give the "idle" zone where you have it fixed on the quadrant. If you are building your own hardware it probably isn't too hard to arrange for the extension to the throttle lever which is the reverser lever to allow the same axis to return values below idle -- i.e. in the reverse zone. That would be the correct way to do it.

The reason I provided a separate single reverser input for all engines was that those using a single throttle lever assigned normally to all engines had no easy way to engage reverse otherwise, except either using the F2 keypress or mapping the single throttle to the 4 separate ones.

Since it is most unlikely that someone would actually allocate 2 or more axes for reverse whilst only having a single throttle lever, the facility for multiple reverser axes never gained any level of priority on my list. In fact if you do have separate throttles you more or less have to deliberately calibrate the reverse zone out of them to make a separate reverser useful.

Anyway, it is still on the list, though I don't really know whether it should be raised in priority. Maybe you can review what I've said here and give me an argument for its greater importance?

Thanks,

Pete