The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS test opportunity

I tried to test WideFS but unlike FSUIPC it does not have anything like a time trial.

Would it be possible to provide something like that?

Admittedly it's not a huge expenditure, but maybe there are cases in which the user may be interested in determining if WideFS is something usefull or not before purchaseing.

Is anything like this possible?

Thanks

Claudio

... maybe there are cases in which the user may be interested in determining if WideFS is something usefull or not before purchaseing.

Well you can determine that by trying whatever it is you are thinking or running on a Client PC on the FS PC first, instead. If you like whatever it is you are running (assuming it is a separate program using the FSUIPC interface), and you'd prefer to have it running on a separate PC, then WideFS is justified. If you don't mind running it on the same screen as FS, or if you have two monitors and can run it with its Windows on the second monitor, then you don't need or want WideFS.

Installing and setting up WideFS is not something I'd encourage unless you need it, and certainly I'm not really willing and able to support experiments "just to see", so I'm afraid there are no trial offers. Sorry.

If you tell me what you are considering it for I might be able to advise on how useful it may be.

Regards,

Pete

I am developing a very complex fsbus interface.

And i would like to have the opportunity to see the performance in two different setups:

all on one pc

fsbus on a client and fs on the server.

Because i think that with all the things i'm putting in it, it may become a big cpu hog :D

Because i think that with all the things i'm putting in it, it may become a big cpu hog :D

If you are using a P4 3 GHz or better with hyperthreading enabled, just assign FS to one virtual CPU and everything else to another.

If you are using an Athlon 64 FX53 or better you are probably going to be okay anyway.

Anything else you are really going to be better off moving as much as you can off the FS PC.

Just bear in mind that there is always an unavoidable latency when driving things over a LAN. This may only be 10-30 milliseconds much of the time, but there will be occasions when it is longer. I would never advise having the main FS flight controls on anything other than the main FS PC. The latency might not matter quite so much with heavy airliners but it certainly would make flying, for example, aerobatic aircraft, fighters and especially helicopters more difficult.

So, consider if you can split things and if so how you'd split it.

Regards,

Pete