The simFlight Network Forums

Can I use FSUIPC to control FS2004 winds?

Peter, I use FSUIPC 3.22 (registered version) with my FS2004.

Having flown (in the right seat, I am not a pilot) on a real-world Beech Bonanza and a C172 a few times, I've found that real-life surface winds have very little effect on aircraft compared to FS9's hyper-active surface winds. In other words (and the words of a cluple of real-world pilots I fly with), FS9 surface winds feel way too strong.

Regardless of wether other FSimmers agree with this or not, I'd like to reduce "surface winds" in my FS9 to a minimun (1 knot or so) but continue to use FS9's downloaded weather (I use the setting that updates every 15 minutes). I've also noticed that sometimes after just take off with FS9 GA planes (and FS9 download weather), the wind feels like I was flying in the middle of a hurricane. I've also like to decrease that to a more realistic setting.

Will FSUIPC 3.22 allow me to control FS9 winds and not affect the other FS9 weather features? What FSUIPC settings will allow me to control the FS9 winds?

Is there any good external weather program for FS9 that I can use with FSUIPC to replace FS9's own weather, and will the winds be more realistic that way?

Thank you in advance

Will FSUIPC 3.22 allow me to control FS9 winds and not affect the other FS9 weather features? What FSUIPC settings will allow me to control the FS9 winds?

None at all, sorry. I've found no way at all to influence FS's local weather other than the visibility. this is actually mentioned in the documentation, and has been discussed a lot. I dearly wish I could intervene as I was able to in FS2002 and FS2000, but I've found no way at all.

Is there any good external weather program for FS9 that I can use with FSUIPC to replace FS9's own weather, and will the winds be more realistic that way?

Check out FSMeteo and ActiveSky. I suspect that they provide wind limiting options, but in any case you can then apply some filtering in FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

I know, I use FSUIPC 3.22, but FSUIPC cannot modify or filter FS9's winds (see Pete Dowson's reply to my question above). So even if you configure FSUIPC to limit surface winds to 1 knot, FS9 will ignore that and you will continue to have strong surface winds.