The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC vis.limits and AktiveSky2004?

Hi all,

I searched really hard for an answer on the forum and in de docu but it is still unclear to me how the parts fit together.

The simplest question is: if I select all *** vis-toggles and fill in values, what happens to the visibility that eg. AS2004 injects from a METAR?

So suppose METAR says a vis of 7000 and according to my settings there should be an vis.limit of 50 nm. Will there be a visibility layer and if so how thick is it. Is there somewhere I can check these values?

I have some other questions too but they may need rephrasing after I understand the answer to this question.

I would be very gratefull for some light on this.

Ursa..

The simplest question is: if I select all *** vis-toggles and fill in values, what happens to the visibility that eg. AS2004 injects from a METAR?

Those options in FSUIPC work at the lowest level, just on the visibility before it is implemented in FS, so they override anything else, no matter where the other stipulations come from.

So suppose METAR says a vis of 7000 and according to my settings there should be an vis.limit of 50 nm. Will there be a visibility layer and if so how thick is it. Is there somewhere I can check these values?

Since 7000 metres is a lot less than your limit of 50 nm, the METAR value should prevail. Yes, there's a layer, you can check in FS's weather dialogues or using WeatherSet or ATIS.

Pete

Those options in FSUIPC work at the lowest level, just on the visibility before it is implemented in FS, so they override anything else, no matter where the other stipulations come from.

and

Since 7000 metres is a lot less than your limit of 50 nm, the METAR value should prevail.

together would mean that the FSUIPC setting overrides only if it is smaller than the METAR. Is is safe to say that always the smaller number prevails?

It's almost obvious now but somehow I didn't get this from the docu.

Thanks Pete, for the answer; from other posts I noticed what an incredibly patient man you must be :-).

Ursa..

together would mean that the FSUIPC setting overrides only if it is smaller than the METAR. Is is safe to say that always the smaller number prevails?

If the number you are talking about is subject to an upper limit, then yes. There are lower limit facilities as well -- I do hope that it is clear which are upper and which lower?

The METAR vis extension facility makes some visibilies larger though -- in the U.S. many automated vis measuring devices report "10 SM" for anything measuring 10 miles upwards, and similarly in Europe for 9999 (metres -- roughly 6.2 miles). So the "extend METAR vis" option makes a random extension between that amount (10 SM or 9999 metres) and whatever upper limit applies.

Regards,

Pete

If the number you are talking about is subject to an upper limit, then yes. There are lower limit facilities as well -- I do hope that it is clear which are upper and which lower?

Yes, it mostly is obvious. However, the mixture of upper- and lower-limits and priority of settings makes this a bit hard to understand, I think. Once the picture is clear it is hard to see what was so difficult before, and hence hard to explain again to the next person :-).

The METAR vis extension facility makes some visibilies larger though -- in the U.S. many automated vis measuring devices report "10 SM" for anything measuring 10 miles upwards, and similarly in Europe for 9999 (metres -- roughly 6.2 miles). So the "extend METAR vis" option makes a random extension between that amount (10 SM or 9999 metres) and whatever upper limit applies.

Ah, some randomness also, I love that. Is this lineair randomness or is the weight towards the upper-limit?

Thanks again, where woudl we be without you,

Ursa..