The simFlight Network Forums

landing lights

hi there,

i am a proud owner of a fullversion (3202) of your wonderful FSUIPC. Everthing is fine and working only with the landing light if face some problems.

If you use the keybord Strg+L the landing light appears and fine.

If you use switch or knob to toggle the landing lights it either just flash once or if you say ' hold or continuosly' than

it flashes all the time.

how to solve this problem?

thanks in advance for prompt attention

regards

CJK

i am a proud owner of a fullversion (3202) of your wonderful FSUIPC.

3.202 is well out of date and is not supported. please be sure to update. Current is 3.22 and version 3.30 is imminent.

If you use the keybord Strg+L the landing light appears and fine.

Sorry, what is "Strg"?

If you use switch or knob to toggle the landing lights it either just flash once or if you say ' hold or continuosly' than it flashes all the time.

how to solve this problem?

What control are you using? These are the useful ones:

LANDING LIGHTS OFF

LANDING LIGHTS ON

LANDING LIGHTS TOGGLE

If you have a push button, program it as TOGGLE, but only when pressed, not released.

If you have a toggle switch, program it for ON when "pressed" and OFF when "released".

That's all. Please be sure to always use the latest FSUIPC. I cannot support old versions.

Regards,

Pete

thanks for prompt reply

Strg is on the german keybord same horizonline as spacebar to the utmost left and same vertical line as up/down.

I downloaded your latest version but result is the same. Hope it has nothing to do with the programm A 320 pro which is running on my computer.

regards

CJK

Strg is on the german keybord same horizonline as spacebar to the utmost left and same vertical line as up/down.

Is that the same as "Ctrl" on UK/US keyboards?

I downloaded your latest version but result is the same. Hope it has nothing to do with the programm A 320 pro which is running on my computer.

You still don't say what control you are programming. Please check my last message. There is nothing clever or complicated or difficult about the landing lights switch. You simply turn it off or on as desired. Just use the correct controls for whatever sort of switch you have. If you won't even tell me what you are doing I really cannot help further. Sorry,

Regards,

Pete

hi,

yes looks like ctrl is same than Strg

I hope my question is not to boaring, but what i like to do it is normally quite simple, switch the landing lights by a knop on and off

in FSUIPC I do programm under buttons a swischknop via an usb converter from a joystick. Programm do accept the button and the rest I did explain already.

sorry

rgds

CJK

I try to explain what is the problem here:

when you assign a keyboard function to an hardware button, many things may happen.

All of which you can simulate with your keyboard and a finger.

If you assign the actions "ON" and "OFF" to a hardware momentary button, when you press it it's like pressing the "L" key two times.

You get the lights on and off rapidly.

Then, if you also turn on in fsuipc the "AUTOREPEAT" function, holding down the button, will result in a repeated continous press and release of the L key, resuling in the strobing effect.

So you have to check what Peter told you about toggle and momentary.

Toggle switches are those which hold their position (like lever switches), momentary are those which hold the position only as long as you keep them pressed (like for example the keyes on your keyboard).

So if you assign a momentary action to a toggle switch, you will get repeated actions.

So please try to check you are using the correct type of action for your hardware.

If you have a two state knob or switch, use LANDING LIGHTS ON and LANDING LIGHTS OFF types for the two states of the knob/switch.

Hope this helps.

in FSUIPC I do programm under buttons a swischknop via an usb converter from a joystick. Programm do accept the button and the rest I did explain already.

No, I am sorry, but you did not! You have not told me WHICH of the Landing Light controls you are trying to use, NOR whether you are programming it on Press or Release or both, NOR whether your "knob" is a toggle switch or a momentary button, or what!

I'm very sorry, but I cannot see your system from here and I cannot help at all unless you explain what you are trying to do and what you are finding a problem with. Honestly, there is nothing simpler than programming an on-off light switch! :cry:

Pete

hallo pete, hallo claudio

thanks for all your efforts. I did everything as described. With a pushbutton as well as with the toggleswitch, result all the time the same. Flash, Flash Flash.

The on/off function works with a lot of things like strobes, nav-lights, general lights etc except with Autopilot and Landing lights. God knows why, I dont.

It can only be a limitation in my Panel which comes from justflight A320 PRO but I do not know a better one which allows to work with 3-4 screens.

Anyway I give up now and try to toggle the LL either with the keybord or land in the dark.

thanks again and

best regards

CJK

thanks for all your efforts. I did everything as described. With a pushbutton as well as with the toggleswitch, result all the time the same. Flash, Flash Flash.

But I have not been able to even start to help you, because you have not once answered any of my questions! I still don't know what FS control you tried, what sort of switch you are using, what you are trying to do in the FSUIPC Buttons page! How can you expect me to help if everything I ask you is completely ignored in this way?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Pete

Okay, you sent me the details in a private message. I am posting the reply here because I am sure others will be interested.

Here is what i did:

-open fsuipc dialogue window

-went to "buttons" tab

-pressed my chosed button on the joystick and it got captured by fsuipc

-marked the voice "Select for FS control"

-then in the "Control sent when button pressed" window i chosed "Landing Lights Toggle

-left the "Control sent when button released" blank

That is all

And then, when you press the button you get flashing lights? They keep flashing all the time or only when the button is held down?

In the latter case it sounds like the button is repeating -- maybe either you have FSUIPC repeating it, or the Joystick driver is.

In the former case, if after you press it and release it it then continues to flash all on its own forever after, then EITHER something else is interfering with the lights (try the default FS 737 to see if it is something in the specific aircraft), or the button itself is staying "on" and you have some repeat action operating as before.

What happens if you instead program the Press for "Landing Lights On" and the Release for "Landing Lights Off"?

In all cases ensure there is no repeat enabled. And please test these things with default aircraft -- it is impossible for me to know whether there's something in the add-on aircraft code which is interacting.

Regards,

Pete

:shock: :? :?:

That quote is from a message of mine sent to CJK!

Well.... anyway that was what I did and everything is fine.

By sending you a PM with that written in, i suppose CJK did the same thing and did not get the same effect as me....

Only suppositions though...

hallo pete, hallo claudio

yes claudio it is right that i copied your text but that was the easiest way and i could not have explained it better.

it looks like there is a conflict or misfunction with the software of the PSS A 320 pro as i tried to swich/toggle the Landing lights as well as the Autopilot under the Boeing default panel and it DID WORK!!

I contacted the guys from PSS and wait whether they can give some explanations or solutions as i do not like to miss this panel it is brilliant for my purpose.

will keep you posted

in the meantime many thanks that you spend to much time with me and my problem

regards

CJK

it looks like there is a conflict or misfunction with the software of the PSS A 320 pro as i tried to swich/toggle the Landing lights as well as the Autopilot under the Boeing default panel and it DID WORK!!

In that case it sounds like this is one of those panels which constantly sends controls to FS to keep it synchronised with their panel, but fails to recognise changes made by other methods.

I think it rather unlikely that you'll get that fixed. The only way may be to give up trying to program the buttons for FS Controls, and instead program the key strokes on the buttons instead (i.e. the left-hand side of the FSUIPC Buttons page). You already said that the keyboard controls worked, right?

Regards,

Pete

guten morgen

yes it is correct under Keyboard button 'Strg+L' the Landing lights are working perfectly, but i like to build an real overhead panel with knobs and buttons and toggle the landing light via thís OHP.

I tried already to allocate a button to the keystrokes but without success and i do not know whether this is at all possible.

There is also a possibility to use the interface of a seperate keyboard for this function but i think this is to much work and headache.

But good proposals how to 'rescue my knob' are always welcome.

regards

CJK

Before going into your comments further, can I just ask this? The two buttons you are having problems with -- you did make sure that they are not allocated in FS's own Controls-Assignments, didn't you? Programming them in FSUIPC cannot override any FS assignments, and FS has a way of assigning most buttons it finds on connected joysticks automatically.

yes it is correct under Keyboard button 'Strg+L' the Landing lights are working perfectly, but i like to build an real overhead panel with knobs and buttons and toggle the landing light via thís OHP.

You'll have to program the button to make the keystroke, then, as I suggested!

I tried already to allocate a button to the keystrokes but without success and i do not know whether this is at all possible.

Of course it is possible! In FSUIPC, go to the Buttons options page, clear your current programming for that button and instead use the left-hand side, where you can make the button produce the Keystroke. Is is actually EASIER to do than programming the controls! This is what I suggested in my last message.

Please, please, sometime take the trouble to peruse the FSUIPC User Guide. It does cover all this stuff in more details than I can go into here. That is why it was written, to help you do precisely what you want to do!

Regards,

Pete

hi,

ok I will now go and give this damned thing a last chance either via the button or the keystroke area.

I will only come back to this forum if i was successful otherwise you will read in the newspaper 'old man died by hardattack whilst programming his Landing lights)

regards

CJK

hi

I am still alive and happy that the landing lights are working now.

as you said it is very easy, especially if finally you found the key to open the door.

until the next problem appear I leave you in peace

thanks again pete and claudio

best regards

CJK

hi,

the problem was that i tried to fix this problem only looking to the button side, stupid I am.

I did not found the link (in my mind) that one could combine button and keystrokes. Only after Pete informed me if it is possible to toggle the LL with strg+L or ctrl+L it must be possible via a button too . finally I allocate a button to a keystroke input for strg+L and it worked.

Someone, after having studied the instruction book, would have had success few weeks earlier.

now I am trying to toggle the Autopilot, normally keyboard 'z', same way but this i have not managed so far.

I will keep trying

best regards

CJK

now I am trying to toggle the Autopilot, normally keyboard 'z', same way but this i have not managed so far.

"z" operates the FS autopilot. Some add-on aircraft have their own more sophisticated autopilots. Aircraft like the PMDG series have facilities to allocate keystrokes to these functions. Sorry, I don't remember what aircraft you are using, but maybe this is the problem.

Certainly, simply progamming a button to press 'z' should work easily with default aircraft.

Regards,

Pete

hi,

I am using PSS A 320pro and learned that you are also there Member of the Team of PSS.

So you might know whether 'z' is working the Autopilot or not. Sofar i was unable to toggle AP by pressing 'z'. Same for ignition to start engines both only working by clicking left mouse button.

That raises the question whether it might be possible with key2mouse to create a keystroke and after that allocate the keystroke to a button via FSUIPC.

thanks in advance

best regards

CJK

learned that you are also there Member of the Team of PSS.

Er is this addressed to me?I am not aligned to, or a member of, any group, although I have from time to time been in the Beta testing group of some things -- never any aircraft though. Sorry. (I don't even use any FS panels whatsoever).

So you might know whether 'z' is working the Autopilot or not. Sofar i was unable to toggle AP by pressing 'z'. Same for ignition to start engines both only working by clicking left mouse button.

It may well be, then, that PSS panels are only mouse driven. If they've made no provision for either keystrokes nor joystick buttons then I'm afraid there's nothing FSUIPC can do for it.

That raises the question whether it might be possible with key2mouse to create a keystroke and after that allocate the keystroke to a button via FSUIPC.

Maybe. It depends how Key2Mouse gets its keypresses -- buttons programmed in FSUIPC can send keypresses to FS. This is done with a Windows facility called "SendInput". Whether that is susceptible to being intercepted by the likes of Key2Mouse I'm afraid I don't know. Instead of using FSUIPC you may need to find a utility which can program buttons for keypresses in the general sense, not specific to FS.

Regards,

Pete

hi there

just for your info it works to use key2mouse to create a keystroke and than use fsuipc to allocate a button to use, in this case a knob to toggle Autopilot, which was before only possible with the mouse.

regards

CJK