The simFlight Network Forums

Setting values in MS Flight Simulator 2002 and 2004

Hi All,

I'm having a problem setting values using the registered version of FSUIPC. I'm trying to drive the graphics of MS flight simulator using another simulator for the flight model (as this is already configure to my hardware settings).

I am able to get the required result using MS Flight Simulator 2002 setting its' Altitude, IAS, Roll, Pitch, Heading, Longitude and Latitude through Delphi code (running the simulator in paused mode). However when I try running the same application using MS Flight Simulator 2004 the values are not being set correctly as they are alternating between the values that I set and the values of it's orginal location. The displayed graphics remains at its original location. My setting rate is at at a 5Hz but have tried quicker values uoto 10Hz.

What is the difference in setting values between Flight Sim 2002 and 2004? Is there some way that I can disable MS Flight Sim 2004 trying to set it's position? I would appricated any help.

Thanks in advance,

Dan :?

I am able to get the required result using MS Flight Simulator 2002 setting its' Altitude, IAS, Roll, Pitch, Heading, Longitude and Latitude through Delphi code (running the simulator in paused mode). However when I try running the same application using MS Flight Simulator 2004 the values are not being set correctly as they are alternating between the values that I set and the values of it's orginal location.

This is not an area I've experimented with, but I think in FS2000 and FS2002 you had to set paused, slew or zero sim-rate modes in order to change some of those things. But in FS2004 you shouldn't need to use any of those. Have you tried it without setting pause, or setting slew mode instead, for example? It may be the fact that you've paused it which is stopping the new values being accepted.

The main difference in FS2004 is that the locations from which that data is readable (offsets 0560-0583 incl) are only read-outs. New values written there are ignored by FS2004, so FSUIPC has to intercept them and issue the appropriate commands to FS to effect the changes.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried with paused, slew and normal flying mode all with no difference. I've also noted when flying with the GPS displays on the plane switches between locations in the same manner as the altitude. Approximated 80% -20% of the time spent in the location that I set compaired to the Original MS Flight Location.

The data being read from MS Flight Sim 2004 seems accurate as tested with separate c code and it matches up to the information provided in the display.

Do you have any further suggestions to debug this problem?

Regards,

Dan

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried with paused, slew and normal flying mode all with no difference.

That's very odd. I'm sure this facility has been used successfully by many folks.

I've also noted when flying with the GPS displays on the plane switches between locations in the same manner as the altitude.

Sorry, I can't make any sense out of that statement, Can you re-phrase?

The data being read from MS Flight Sim 2004 seems accurate as tested with separate c code and it matches up to the information provided in the display.

Sorry, is this relevant?

Do you have any further suggestions to debug this problem?

I certainly think you must have a programming error somewhere, though in that case it is a bit odd that you got it working with FS2002. I assume you are, in fact, writing to the 560-580 offsets? I have just checked all those using FSInterrogate -- you can try this yourself. With FSInterrogate I can write individually to FS (yes, in pause mode) values for Latitude, Longitude, Altitude, Pitch, Bank and Heading, and each one sticks and the results are cumulative.

Please check your coding. You may find the FSUIPC IPC Write logging useful so you can actually see what your program is writing.

Also make sure you have no add-ons interfering. Maybe things like Active Camera do something with this too. I tested here with a plain FS2004 installation.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I've finally had time to look into the problem. It was a programming error as you suggested. It was concerned with using the incorrect Delphi interface. I was connecting using the FDSConnect Delphi interface rather than the FSUIPC delphi interface. Sorry for the silly mistake.

Cheers,

Dan