The simFlight Network Forums

Freeware Application Keys

Dear Mr. Dowson,

I would like to have your final answer concerning the use of free Keys.

Is it true or false that is possible to register only one application program per time in non-registered FSUIPC?

In the forum of my preferite VA there is this misunderstanding. I was convinced that, for example if you register for free Squawkbox you'll not be able to register for free AIBridge too and you have to make a choice. Other guys says I'm true, others that I'm wrong. May you help me? Thanks for your time.

Best regards

C. Tebaldi

I have had troubles with PM If you receive it throw it away

I would like to have your final answer concerning the use of free Keys.

"Final" answer? sorry, I really have to be prepared to answer most if not all questions. :wink:

Is it true or false that is possible to register only one application program per time in non-registered FSUIPC?

In terms of actually typing the name and key into FS, of ocurse you can only enter one at a time. But then you can "Ok" out of that and re-enter the same dialogue to register another, and so on, all day if you like. All that dialogue does is do a little bit of processing on the data and save it to the FSUIPC.KEY file. Nothing more, nothing less.

It is the list in the [Programs] section of the FSUIPC.KEY file to which FSUIPC refers when a program, gauge or DLL requests access and does not provide a Key directly through the FSUIPC interface or via its Version Information details. (You see there are several (easier) ways for programmers to make the access automatic, and many do. But sadly many also do not).

For programs with only alphanumerics in their names, you could actually simply edit the FSUIPC.KEY file and add the keys there. Accented characters and non-alphanumeics have to be eliminated -- excepting the "." in ".gau" and ".dll" for those two types. EXE files omit the whole ".exe" part.

I was convinced that, for example if you register for free Squawkbox you'll not be able to register for free AIBridge too and you have to make a choice.

No, that's wrong. There is absolutely no limit whatsoever to how many are listed. All FSUIPC does is look to see if the program has a correct KEY in the [Programs] section of the FSUIPC.KEY file. It doesn't matter how many are there, but you can't have two programs with the same name.

Regards,

Pete