The simFlight Network Forums

where do I start?

I am building a flight simulator using FS2002 and a hydraulic motion platform. I have purchased WideFS and FSUIPC. I will begin teaching myself C++ or VB and will take a couple of classes.

Where do I go from here? Would it be best to hire someone to help me? Is that possible? I can already control the motion platform with my D to A converters and actually "fly" it from the keyboard. Does anyone already have some code examples?

Please help a newbie and point me in the right direction.

Thank you-Curtis.

I am building a flight simulator using FS2002 and a hydraulic motion platform. I have purchased WideFS and FSUIPC. I will begin teaching myself C++ or VB and will take a couple of classes.

Hmmm .. good luck!

You will need the FSUIPC SDK (from http://www.schiratti.com/dowson), but working out how to move the platform in response to the simulators accelerations (all of which are available for FS2002 and FS2004) is something which I would have no idea about -- it obviously isn't just a matter of applying the numbers. You need to make the platform move in ways that make the occupant(s) feel as they would in the real thing, without actually moving the platform as the real thing moves.

Where do I go from here? Would it be best to hire someone to help me?

Not sureI know that Ralph Robinson (R & R electronics, makers of the EPIC) has been involved with some folks in the U.S. building and programming one, using EPIC for the PC interface of course. Maybe a web search will find other contacts.

I can already control the motion platform with my D to A converters and actually "fly" it from the keyboard. Does anyone already have some code examples?

Ah, you are quite far advanced then. So the EPIC reference isn't correct for you. I'd take a look though the data available to you from FS and plan how to make use of it first. Learn to program a bit, even VB should be okay -- not sure how clever it has to be if you already have the interface to the hardware sussed.

Regards,

Pete